1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get the equation for 3D projectile motion?

1. Oct 18, 2016 #1
    Hey guys, so I'm currently writing a math exploration paper on modelling the optimal tennis serve. Im using Geogebra and I was wondering if you could help me come up with the equation that will help model the trajectory of the tennis ball over time given the following conditions:
    1. Initial Velocity
    2. Initial Height
    3. Initial vertical angle
    4. Initial Horizontal angle

I would like to model this on a 3 dimensional plane meaning (x,y,z) this is where i have an issue.
    I decided to exclude the spin, drag, and air resistance as any factors involved. The only force acting on the ball after the serve is ag at 9.8m/s^2.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. I've deleted several cross-posts of yours.

Ignoring air resistance and spin seems to be a fundamental error of simplification. Those are fundamental to a good tennis serve. Can you comment about including those effects?

4. Oct 18, 2016 #3
    I suppose that it would make my model much more accurate, however what Im worried about is the complexity of finding all the equations relating all these factors. The images below show my initial modelling of the tennis court and now the problem is getting the equations to move the ball according to the factors above to model the balls's trajection.

Attached Files:

5. Oct 18, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What class is this for? If it's for anything beyond a non-calculus first physics clsss, it would seem that air resistance and the effects of spin would be key.

Part of the Homework Help Template that you deleted asks for the exact problem statement in full. Can you please provide that, and say which uni class this problem is for?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted