How to get the magnetic moment for this loop?

In summary, according to the article at Wikipedia, the magnetic moment of a loop is given by: - calculating the current density vector ##\vec J## - using the sign convention that if the current flows counter-clockwise around the origin, then the contribution to the magnetic moment is positive- taking the derivative of this with respect to the position along the loop ##\vec r##, to get the torque on the loop.
Gourab_chill
Homework Statement
I've attached the question in the attachments. My question is what is magnetic moment for this loop?
Relevant Equations
μ = I*A
About this figure, the current in the opposite wires are parallel (and not anti-parallel). So, for instance for the first option the torque is zero; but I wanted to know what is the magnetic moment of this loop. Since I rely only on formula I've have no idea how to compute for this one.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 118
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a general formula for the magnetic moment of any current distribution that is covered in upper-division courses. See here. But, you don't need the magnetic moment in order to calculate the torque. Just find the torque by using the force on each section of the loop.

Likes PhDeezNutz, etotheipi and Delta2
Yes I also think this can be solved just by using the formula $$\vec{F}=I(\vec{l}\times \vec{B})$$
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force#Force_on_a_current-carrying_wire
where ##\vec{l}## is the vector for each segment of the loop pointing in the direction of the current ##I## of that segment.
And then with vectorial addition of the four different forces and four different torques.

TSny said:
There is a general formula for the magnetic moment of any current distribution that is covered in upper-division courses. See here. But, you don't need the magnetic moment in order to calculate the torque. Just find the torque by using the force on each section of the loop.

No as I already told in the explanations section I have found the torque by the the equation @Delta2 has mentioned; is it impossible to calculate the magnetic moment for this loop? The link you have provided contains formula and theories beyond my scope (that's the reason i don't go to Wikipedia:) )

Likes Delta2
Gourab_chill said:
No as I already told in the explanations section I have found the torque by the the equation @Delta2 has mentioned; is it impossible to calculate the magnetic moment for this loop? The link you have provided contains formula and theories beyond my scope (that's the reason i don't go to Wikipedia:) )
Well I believe the article at Wikipedia contains the answer to your question (so it is not beyond your scope).

According to the article the magnetic moment is said to be $$\vec{m}=\frac{1}{2}\iiint \vec{r}\times \vec{J}(\vec{r}) d^3\vec{r}$$ which is a triple (volume) integral and contains the current density vector ##\vec{J}##.

However in the case of infinitesimally thin wires I believe it is simplified to the line integral $$\vec{m}=\frac{1}{2}\int_C I(\vec{r})\vec{r}\times d\vec{r}$$ where the domain of integration ##C## is over the circuit or the closed loop and ##\vec{r}## is the position vector and ##I(\vec{r})## is the value of current at position ##\vec{r}##.
So in your case ##C## is the square loop, you can break the line integral to 4 parts and do the integration ( i believe the use of cartesian coordinate system is the best here).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Gourab_chill and etotheipi
Consider the loop shown
1589403668774.png

The loop has two different currents ##I_1## and ##I_2##. For such a loop, the general formula for the magnetic moment can be simplified. The result for such a loop depends on the choice of origin, shown as point ##O## above. For your loop, a natural choice of origin would be the center of the square. It can be shown that the general formula reduces to doing the following. Use the origin to construct the two areas ##A_1## and ##A_2## shown below
1589403682048.png

We will use the sign convention that if the current flows counter-clockwise around the origin, then the contribution to the magnetic moment is positive. This will be the case for ##I_1##. ##I_2## is clockwise around the origin and will contribute negatively. The contribution of either current to the magnetic moment is just the current times the associated area.

So, the magnetic moment of the total loop, relative to the origin shown, is given by ##I_1A_1 - I_2 A_2##.

• Informative
Likes Gourab_chill, Delta2, anuttarasammyak and 1 other person
@TSny I have done the calculation of the line integral presented at my post #5 (with origin at the left down corner of the square loop and in cartesian coordinates) and I get a result that matches your result in post #6. Specifically I get (L the side of the square loop) ##\frac{1}{2}L^2(I_1-I_2)\hat z## and with ##\frac{1}{2}L^2## being the area of the square above or below the diagonal I believe this matches your result.

But I believe the line integral (as well as the volume integral) are independent of the origin of the coordinate system we choose to do the calculations.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
@TSny I have done the calculation of the line integral presented at my post #5 (with origin at the left down corner of the square loop) and I get a result that matches your result in post #6.
Good!

But I believe the line integral (as well as the volume integral) are independent of the origin of the coordinate system we choose to do the calculations.
For the usual case where you have a loop where the current has the same magnitude at every point and the current flows in only one direction around the loop, the magnetic moment ##\vec m## will be independent of the choice of origin. However, for the square loop in this problem, ##\vec m## will depend on the location of the origin.

Consider your formula from post #5: ##\,\,\, \vec m = \frac{1}{2}\int_C I \,\vec r \times d\vec s##.
Here, ##d \vec s## is an element of displacement along the loop ##C## in the direction of the current, and ##\vec r## is the location of the element relative to the origin. ##I## is the current at the location of the element ##d\vec s##.

Shift to a new origin and let ##\vec r'## denote positions of elements of the loop relative to the new origin. So, ##\vec r' = \vec r + \vec r_0##, where ##\vec r_0## is a constant vector. Then, relative to the new origin

##\vec m' = \frac{1}{2}\int_C I \, \vec r' \times d\vec s = \frac{1}{2}\int_C I\, \vec r \times d\vec s +\frac{1}{2}\int_C I \,\vec r_0 \times d\vec s = \vec m + \frac{1}{2} \vec r_0 \times \int_C I \, d\vec s##

So, ##\vec m' = \vec m## only if the expression ##\vec r_0 \times \int_C I \, d\vec s = 0##. For the typical current loop, ##\int_C I \, d\vec s = I \int_C d\vec s = 0##. But, for a loop with junctions, such as the square loop in this problem, ##\vec r_0 \times \int_C I \, d\vec s \neq 0## in general.

Likes Delta2
Well thanks @TSny but there is something that bugs me. In your proof you use ##d\vec{s}## and omit the dependency of I on ##\vec{r}## I guess you mean ##I(\vec{s})## there.

However if we use my formula directly as it is at post #5 we get that
$$\vec{m}'=\frac{1}{2}\int_C I(\vec{r'})\vec{r'}\times d\vec{r'}$$ and though ##d\vec{r'}=d\vec{r}## , it would however be ##I(\vec{r'})\neq I(\vec{r})## and the proof cannot continue along the same route.

So is my formula wrong exactly as it is written at post #5?

Delta2 said:
So is my formula wrong exactly as it is written at post #5?
Your formula looks good to me. When switching to a new origin, you have to replace ##I(\vec r)## by a different function ##I'(\vec r')##. If ##\vec r## and ##\vec r'## point to the same current element ##d\vec s##, then ##I(\vec r) = I'(\vec r')##. But, as you say, ##I(\vec r) \neq I(\vec r')##.

##\vec m'## would be written as $$\vec m' = \frac{1}{2} \int_C I'(\vec r') \vec r' \times d\vec r'$$ I don't see any difficulty here.

Likes Delta2

1. How do you calculate the magnetic moment for a loop?

The magnetic moment for a loop can be calculated by multiplying the current flowing through the loop by the area of the loop and the number of turns in the loop. The formula for magnetic moment is μ = I * A * N, where μ is the magnetic moment, I is the current, A is the area, and N is the number of turns.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic moment for a loop?

The direction of the magnetic moment for a loop is determined by the direction of the current flowing through the loop. The magnetic moment will be in the same direction as the current.

3. How does the shape of the loop affect the magnetic moment?

The shape of the loop does not affect the magnetic moment as long as the current and number of turns remain constant. However, the area of the loop does affect the magnetic moment, as seen in the formula μ = I * A * N. A larger area will result in a larger magnetic moment.

4. Can the magnetic moment of a loop be changed?

Yes, the magnetic moment of a loop can be changed by altering the current, area, or number of turns in the loop. By increasing or decreasing any of these factors, the magnetic moment will also change accordingly.

5. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic moment?

The unit of measurement for magnetic moment is ampere-square meters (A*m²) in the SI system. In cgs (centimeter-gram-second) units, the unit is ergs per gauss (erg/G).