1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get Voltage vs. Time graph from having Current and Voltage values.

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Make a Voltage vs. Time graph. We know the Resistance, Voltage values, and corresponding Current Values.

2. Relevant equations

We have data points for the voltage, which ranges from 0-10 volts, and we have the corresponding current values.

V(t) = V(0)*e^-(t/rc)

3. The attempt at a solution

I was looking at equations that might help me solve this problem.

I know that V(t) = V(0)*e^-(t/rc)

rc is the time constant. But isn't RC the Resistance x the Capacitance. We had three light bulbs connected in series, so there was no capacitance. And I already solved for the resistance.

I'm just confused. Help please.

----------------------------------

If you're confused with the setup, here is the whole unedited problem.

!!In the following: BECAUSE OF THE POTENTIAL FOR SHOCK OR DAMAGE TO THE
    ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS, YOU MUST ASSEMBLE YOUR CIRCUIT WITH ALL
    MULTIMETERS AND POWER SUPPLY TURNED OFF.
    !! THE TA WILL INSPECT YOUR CIRCUIT, AND THE TA WILL THEN TURN ON THE
    POWER SUPPLY AND MULTIMETERS.
    B. Keeping in mind the important
    caveats above, assemble your
    components as indicated in the
    figure. This arrangement
    should allow you to measure
    the current-voltage curve for
    three light bulbs in series. You
    should take data points starting
    from about 10 Volts down to 0
    Volts. Do not exceed 10 Volts
    output from the power
    supply. Since the voltage
    readout on the power supply is very crude it is important to record the voltage as
    measured by Multimeter #1 rather than using the power supply readout. Multimeter #2
    is placed between the two light bulbs and will be set to measure current; you should use
    the 200 mA maximum setting for current measurement. Record a total of 20 – 30 data
    points, about 2 for each unit of voltage, and be sure to take at least four points in the
    range 0.10 – 1.00 Volts.
    Questions
    1. Use Logger Pro or some other curve plotting program to plot the current-voltage
    behavior for the three light bulbs. Note any nonlinearities in your plot. What is the
    source of this nonlinearity? Is it really a breakdown of Ohm’s law?
    2. Fit a smooth curve to your current-voltage data using the Logger Pro fitting function or
    Matlab. From this data extract the slope of the current-voltage curve when voltage is
    near zero. Compare this “differential” resistance with the result of your resistance
    measurement from part A for the three light bulbs. Are the two values similar?
    3. Include your plot of voltage versus time for the RC circuit.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The lab description indicates that they want a current-voltage curve, not voltage-time nor current-time. There's no timekeeping involved in the lab!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook