Drawing a Circuit from Voltage-Time Graph

In summary, the attached graph shows the relationship between time and voltage for three resistors in a circuit with a discharging capacitor. The resistors can be positioned in three separate circuit layouts, each using exactly three resistors. The net resistances for each layout are R2>R3>R1, with R2 having three resistors in series, R3 having two resistors in series and one in parallel, and R1 having three resistors in parallel. Other layouts are also possible, but may not reach zero voltage or may go below the x-axis.
friendbobbiny

Homework Statement

The attached graph shows the relationship between time and voltage for three resistors. A capacitor is discharging current through three "separate" resistors. How resistors might be positioned in a circuit to give rise to the graphs.

Homework Equations

V = IR
CR = $$\uptau$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Separate cannot mean in parallel, or else the graphs would all begin at the same voltage.

My attempt to prove that
"Separate cannot mean completely in series either" ended in squash:

The resistance order can be shown to be: R2>R3>R1

RC = Tau gives the time constant for a capacitor. The greater tau is, the longer it takes a capacitor discharge or acquire charge. The resistors with the greater resistances, consequently, are the ones that takes the longer to reach V = 0.

What approach can I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it we are supposed to guess what the graphs look like?

Sorry for forgetting to attach the graph:

nah, I wanted to determine what the circuit woud look like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 10.34.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 10.34.07 AM.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 734
friendbobbiny said:
Sorry, my original post wasn't clear

1. Homework Statement

The attached graph shows the relationship between time and voltage for three resistors. A capacitor is discharging current through three "separate" resistors. How can resistors be positioned in a circuit so that the graph describes them?

Homework Equations

V = IR
CR = $$\uptau$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Separate cannot mean in parallel, or else the graphs would all begin at the same voltage.

My attempt to prove that
"Separate cannot mean completely in series either" ended in squash:

The resistance order can be shown to be: R2>R3>R1

RC = Tau gives the time constant for a capacitor. The greater tau is, the longer it takes a capacitor discharge or acquire charge. The resistors with the greater resistances, consequently, are the ones that takes the longer to reach V = 0.

What approach can I use?

Yes, but the point is that there are obviously three SEPARATE circuit layouts to get the three different graphs. What they are, based on the condition that each use exactly 3 resistors, is obvious. What do you think they might be?

phinds said:
three SEPARATE circuit layouts to get the three different graphs

Ah so I misunderstood the problem? I need to identfy three circuit layouts that each use three resistors.

If I understand the problem, then the approach should be easy:

We already concluded that R2>R3>R1, where R2,R3 and R1 are presumably the net resistances that combinations of the three resistors create.

The component resistors that comprise these net resistors can be assumed to be the same, without loss of generality:

so that R2 has: three Rx resistors in series
R3 has: 2 Rx in series and one in parallel
R1 has: three in parallel

Other layouts would work.

Yep. That's what I came up with.

If that's the accepted answer then you have got off lightly. :)

I would have said the plot with R2 is definitely never going to reach anywhere near zero. That for R1 does look like levelling out on the x axis. But unless I'm mistaken, that exponential plot for R3 looks like it's headed below the x axis. :eek:

Related to Drawing a Circuit from Voltage-Time Graph

What is a voltage-time graph?

A voltage-time graph is a visual representation of the change in voltage over time in an electric circuit. It plots voltage on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

Why would I need to draw a circuit from a voltage-time graph?

Drawing a circuit from a voltage-time graph allows you to understand the behavior and characteristics of an electric circuit, such as the voltage levels and changes over time, and the components and connections within the circuit.

How do I draw a circuit from a voltage-time graph?

To draw a circuit from a voltage-time graph, you will need to use the information provided in the graph to identify the components and their connections in the circuit. This may include using circuit symbols, understanding the direction of current flow, and the relationship between voltage and resistance.

What are the key components to look for when drawing a circuit from a voltage-time graph?

The key components to look for when drawing a circuit from a voltage-time graph include the power source (battery or voltage supply), resistors, capacitors, and any other components that are present in the circuit. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of current flow and the voltage levels at different points in the circuit.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a circuit from a voltage-time graph?

Some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a circuit from a voltage-time graph include not properly labeling the components and their connections, not following the correct direction of current flow, and not accurately representing the voltage levels at different points in the circuit. It is also important to double-check your work and ensure that the circuit you have drawn accurately reflects the information provided in the voltage-time graph.