1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Voltage from capacitance, current and time

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question asks
    the current through a 2uF capacitor is show. sketch the capacitor voltage Vc between t = 0ms give that the voltage at t=0ms is 0V. Your graph must be correctly scaled with numerical values.

There is a graph included showing a current rise for 0-2 milliseconds. 0 current for 2-4 milliseconds negative current for 3 milliseconds.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand this question is asking for the difference between graphing Ic and Vc. I have the graph drawn and understand the difference between Ic and Vc in a charging and discharging circuit.

Now, I must convert my current values into voltage values and then add it to my graph. This is where I am stuck.

I know that:

Vc=Vo(E^-t/rc) and ic =-Vo/R(E^-t/rc) are used when a capacitor is charging and discharging.
    both of those have voltages in the formula, so I can't use them.

I know Q=CV
    I also know coulomb is 1s/A
    can I change that to be A= Δ Q/Δ T ??
    and rearrange it to Q= Δ A x Δ t ??

I can't figure out how to get the current to voltage!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

If you are given the current into or out of a capacitor you know the amount of charge moving into or out of the capacitor (since current is defined to be charge/time). Look up the relationship between charge and voltage for a capacitor. If you know the capacitance and charge at any instant then you can determine the voltage on the capacitor.

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are on the right lines by starting with Q=CV. Then differentiate both sides wrt time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted