How to handle aboslute values in integrals

• Thread starter wildman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, to solve a problem with absolute values, you need to:-Split the problem into integrating from -10 to 0 and from 0 to 10-Replace |t| with t in the integral from -10 to 0, and |t| with -t in the integral from 0 to 10
wildman

Homework Statement

My question is how to handle absolute values in integrals. For instance I had this in my homework today:
[tex] \int_{-10}^{10} |t|e^{-2|t|}dt [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to the problem without absolute values would be easy given that it is in the integral table... If it were integrated from 0 to 10 it would be easy also. I would just take away the absolute value signs and integrate from -10 to 10. But what do you do when it already is from -10 to 10?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that a definite integral is a measure of area under a curve.

If you look at [itex]x^3[/itex] from -a to a, the total area would be 0, as due to the symmetry, the positive and negative areas cancel out.

But what if we had [itex]|x|^3[/itex]? Then it'd look the same, except all negative values would be flipped up to the positive. What now? Well, in this example, the area from -a to a is what you want. But due to the symmetry, the area from -a to 0, and from 0 to a, would be identical, so you can just figure out one half of it, then multiply.

Try to see what your graph looks like, and see if this helps you.

wildman said:

Homework Statement

My question is how to handle absolute values in integrals. For instance I had this in my homework today:
[tex] \int_{-10}^{10} |t|e^{-2|t|}dt [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to the problem without absolute values would be easy given that it is in the integral table... If it were integrated from 0 to 10 it would be easy also. I would just take away the absolute value signs and integrate from -10 to 10. But what do you do when it already is from -10 to 10?
I hate to state the obvious: split the problem into integrating from -10 to 0 and from 0 to 10! In the integral from -10 to 0, replace |t| with -t and in the integral from 0 to 10, replace |t| with t.

Of course, as Goldenwind said, you don't really have to do both integrals. Because of the symmetry, the two integrals must be the same. Integrate from 0 to 10, with |t| replaced by t, and double.

Thanks guys!

1. What is an absolute value?

An absolute value is the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive value.

2. How do you handle absolute values in integrals?

To handle absolute values in integrals, you must split the integral into two separate integrals and apply the absolute value function to each. This allows you to remove the absolute value brackets and solve the integral as normal.

3. Can you give an example of handling absolute values in integrals?

Sure. Let's say we have the integral ∫|x+2|dx. We can split this into two integrals: ∫(x+2)dx and ∫-(x+2)dx. We can then remove the absolute value brackets and solve each integral separately.

4. Are there any special rules for handling absolute values in integrals?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind. When integrating a function with an absolute value, the limits of integration may change. Also, if the integral is being evaluated at a point where the function inside the absolute value is equal to zero, the integral may not exist.

5. Can absolute values be used in definite integrals?

Yes, absolute values can be used in definite integrals. However, the limits of integration may need to be adjusted depending on the function inside the absolute value. It is important to carefully evaluate the function and adjust the limits accordingly to ensure an accurate solution.