Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to increase pressure in a system

1. Apr 16, 2010 #1
    I want to make a testing system to test a high pressure water pumps. I need to know how much is the flow in a certain pressure. I bought a flow meter to measure the flow but I couldn't simulate the pressure I need. I DON'T know if there is a kind of valve that can increase the pressure to make the pump (for example) give 250 gpm at 7 bar

who can help me on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2
    A variable frequency drive pump can easily be used to change the pressure and flow rate if u wish , but unfortunately this kind of pump is very expensive , though there is always a relationship between pressure and flow rate in any system using bernoulli energy balance where static pressure , velocity "dynamic pressure" and potential energy are balanced between 2 points through the system , using a diffuser somewhere in the system will decrease your velocity and increase your pressure.

4. Apr 17, 2010 #3
    Thank you Firava.
    But I don't think the frequency drive will help me. I want to test the performance of the pump I assemble.Wether it gives the required flow under a certain pressure.

Thanks

5. Apr 17, 2010 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can't you simply put a back pressure regulator on the outlet of your pump and measure flow rate downstream of that?

Example:
    Inlet -> Pump -> Pressure Gage -> Back pressure regulator (& relief valve) -> Flow measurement at Patm.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook