Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to install Adobe Encoder on Mac

1. Nov 26, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

I am trying to install Adobe Encoder on my mac, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite. When I go to their website here
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5940&fileID=5969
    and download it and try to open it MATLAB attempts to open it. How should I install this?

On a related note, I am ultimately trying take 1 frame per second from high quality HD video from an mp4 format. Is Adobe Encoder the way to do this, or does anyone have a better recommendation?

Thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The file you downloaded should have a name ending in ".dmg". Does it?

If no, then you probably downloaded the wrong file, or you downloaded it incorrectly.

If yes, then single-click on the file and choose "Get Info" from the "File" menu, or hit command-I. The info window should have an item named "Open with:", followed by the name of an application (actually a dropdown menu), which should be "DiskImageMounter". If it says something else like "Matlab", open the dropdown menu and see if you can choose "DiskImageMounter".

4. Nov 29, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

It downloads as a .dmg.mdlp file. Does this mean I am downloading it incorrectly?

Thanks for your response!

5. Nov 29, 2016 #4

jtbell

I've never heard of a .mdlp file. When I go to the page you linked to, and hover my mouse over the "Download Now" button, I see a URL for a file whose name ends in .dmg, matching the "File Name" displayed above the button. And when I start to download it, Firefox offers to save it as a file with that name (ending in .dmg). Which browser are you using? Maybe the .dmg.mdlp is an intermediate file used during the download process. In Firefox, the intermediate file is AdobeMediaEncoder_CC_9_0_1_ftr.dmg.part. That would probably mean you have an incomplete download. Which browser are you using?

6. Nov 30, 2016 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Interesting, I didn't realize the browser mattered. I was using Safari but changed to Chrome and it worked well. However, in the Adobe Media Encoder there are two files: one is labeled AdobePatchInstaller.app and the other is a folder named payloads. If I try opening the PatchInstaller application I receive an error, saying that Adobe Application Manager is needed to resolve this problem. Download a copy here:
    http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/desktop-app.html
    But then I need to make an Adobe account. This all seems like a lot of work for something that may not even get installed. Do you recommend I make an account and see or do you have a better option of how I can convert .mp4 video into sequential pictures?

7. Nov 30, 2016 #6

jtbell

I've now downloaded that file on the Mac in my office. I didn't want to do it at home last night because I have a very slow Internet connection there and it would have taken an hour to download. ?:)

When I run AdobePatchInstaller I get the message "Update Failed / This patch is not applicable for you."

Looking back at the download page I now see that that it says "Adobe Media Encoder CC 2015.0.1 Update for Macintosh" (my boldface). So it's not the full application, but just an update. That's why it's called AdobePatchInstaller.

I think you have to start here, download the trial version of the full application, and hope that it lets you do what you want without having to pay for it.

Also, this looks like it's part of Adobe Creative Cloud, which I've never dealt with. My Adobe applications (Photoshop etc.) are the last pre-Creative Cloud versions that you could buy outright, as opposed to paying a monthly or annual subscription fee, which I want to avoid as long as possible.

When I want to extract frames from a video, I use MPEG Streamclip, but I just need to do one at a time, manually. If you want something that automatically extracts many frames at a fixed interval, this won't do it. And I don't know if it works under Yosemite.

8. Dec 5, 2016 #7

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Thanks so much jtbell! I haven't had time to try your suggestion yet but I have not forgot. I just wanted to post a response so you know I'm appreciative of your help. Once I get some time I'll try it and let you know how it goes!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted