How to install Adobe Encoder on Mac

In summary, the conversation is about the process of installing Adobe Encoder on a Mac and using it to extract frames from a high quality HD video. The initial issue is that MATLAB attempts to open the downloaded file instead of the expected DiskImageMounter. The conversation then delves into possible solutions and alternatives, including using MPEG Streamclip or downloading the trial version of the full Adobe Media Encoder application. The conversation ends with the promise of trying out the suggested solutions and providing an update.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am trying to install Adobe Encoder on my mac, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite. When I go to their website here
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5940&fileID=5969
and download it and try to open it MATLAB attempts to open it. How should I install this?

On a related note, I am ultimately trying take 1 frame per second from high quality HD video from an mp4 format. Is Adobe Encoder the way to do this, or does anyone have a better recommendation?

Thanks so much!

Computer science news on Phys.org
The file you downloaded should have a name ending in ".dmg". Does it?

If no, then you probably downloaded the wrong file, or you downloaded it incorrectly.

If yes, then single-click on the file and choose "Get Info" from the "File" menu, or hit command-I. The info window should have an item named "Open with:", followed by the name of an application (actually a dropdown menu), which should be "DiskImageMounter". If it says something else like "Matlab", open the dropdown menu and see if you can choose "DiskImageMounter".

jtbell said:
The file you downloaded should have a name ending in ".dmg". Does it?
It downloads as a .dmg.mdlp file. Does this mean I am downloading it incorrectly?

Thanks for your response!

I've never heard of a .mdlp file. When I go to the page you linked to, and hover my mouse over the "Download Now" button, I see a URL for a file whose name ends in .dmg, matching the "File Name" displayed above the button. And when I start to download it, Firefox offers to save it as a file with that name (ending in .dmg). Which browser are you using? Maybe the .dmg.mdlp is an intermediate file used during the download process. In Firefox, the intermediate file is AdobeMediaEncoder_CC_9_0_1_ftr.dmg.part. That would probably mean you have an incomplete download. Which browser are you using?

Interesting, I didn't realize the browser mattered. I was using Safari but changed to Chrome and it worked well. However, in the Adobe Media Encoder there are two files: one is labeled AdobePatchInstaller.app and the other is a folder named payloads. If I try opening the PatchInstaller application I receive an error, saying that Adobe Application Manager is needed to resolve this problem. Download a copy here:
http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/desktop-app.html
But then I need to make an Adobe account. This all seems like a lot of work for something that may not even get installed. Do you recommend I make an account and see or do you have a better option of how I can convert .mp4 video into sequential pictures?

I've now downloaded that file on the Mac in my office. I didn't want to do it at home last night because I have a very slow Internet connection there and it would have taken an hour to download. ?:)

When I run AdobePatchInstaller I get the message "Update Failed / This patch is not applicable for you."

Looking back at the download page I now see that that it says "Adobe Media Encoder CC 2015.0.1 Update for Macintosh" (my boldface). So it's not the full application, but just an update. That's why it's called AdobePatchInstaller.

I think you have to start here, download the trial version of the full application, and hope that it let's you do what you want without having to pay for it.

Also, this looks like it's part of Adobe Creative Cloud, which I've never dealt with. My Adobe applications (Photoshop etc.) are the last pre-Creative Cloud versions that you could buy outright, as opposed to paying a monthly or annual subscription fee, which I want to avoid as long as possible.

When I want to extract frames from a video, I use MPEG Streamclip, but I just need to do one at a time, manually. If you want something that automatically extracts many frames at a fixed interval, this won't do it. And I don't know if it works under Yosemite.

Likes member 428835
Thanks so much jtbell! I haven't had time to try your suggestion yet but I have not forgot. I just wanted to post a response so you know I'm appreciative of your help. Once I get some time I'll try it and let you know how it goes!

1. How do I download Adobe Encoder on Mac?

To download Adobe Encoder on Mac, go to the Adobe website and click on the "Download" button. Follow the prompts to complete the download and installation process.

2. Can I install Adobe Encoder on Mac for free?

No, Adobe Encoder is not available for free on Mac. You will need to purchase a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud in order to access Adobe Encoder.

3. What are the system requirements for installing Adobe Encoder on Mac?

The minimum system requirements for Adobe Encoder on Mac include a 64-bit multicore Intel processor, macOS version 10.13 or later, and at least 8GB of RAM. For optimal performance, Adobe recommends a faster processor and more RAM.

4. How do I activate Adobe Encoder on Mac?

After installing Adobe Encoder on Mac, launch the application and sign in with your Adobe account credentials. This will activate your software and allow you to access all the features and tools.

5. Can I uninstall Adobe Encoder from my Mac?

Yes, you can uninstall Adobe Encoder from your Mac by going to the Applications folder, finding the Adobe Encoder application, and dragging it to the trash. You may also need to remove any associated files in the Library folder.