Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real media (ram format) generic player for Mac?

1. Dec 29, 2005 #1

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see on a homework question, a file in *.ram format is referenced. I am reluctant to download Real Player because of previous spyware issues and having to jump through several hoops to shut off options in the configuration. Are there any generic players recommended, that can handle this format for Mac.

System: using a borrowed Power Mac G5 running OS X "panther".

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2005 #2

-Job-

Science Advisor

There's jetAudio which is my favorite player for both audio and video and it can play real player's files, but i don't think there's a version for Mac. I also dislike Real Player very much.

4. Dec 30, 2005 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for suggestion, upon reading about JetAudio they confirm that they do not have a Mac or Linux version. I will keep this one in mind when I use PCs that do have Windows OS.

5. Dec 30, 2005 #4

rho

I wouldn't worry about spyware on OS X there isn't any (yet), so there shouldn't be a problem using real player for mac.

6. Dec 30, 2005 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

The new version of the real player stripped out the adware. I think you'll be safe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?