1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to integrate this by parts?

1. May 7, 2015 #1
    • THIS HOMEWORK PROBLEM WAS SUBMITTED TO THE WRONG FORUM, AND THERE IS NO TEMPLATE.
    Hey guys,

So here's the issue I'm faced with. I need to integrate the following by parts (twice):

[itex]\int d^{3}y\, e^{ik(\hat{n}_{0}-\hat{n})\cdot\vec{y}}\left[ \nabla\times\nabla\times\hat{\epsilon}_{0} \right][/itex]

And I have absolutely no clue how to approach this. The result I'm meant to reach is proportional to

[itex]\int d^{3}y\, e^{ik(\hat{n}_{0}-\hat{n})\cdot\vec{y}} \hat{n}\times\hat{n}\times\hat{\epsilon}_{0}[/itex]

The hats denote unit vectors I believe.

I don't know how to integrate by parts an expression involving the curl operator...can someone help please?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Integration by parts in the usual case works because of the product rule for differentiation:

$$ \frac{d}{dx} (f g) = \frac{df}{dx} g + f \frac{dg}{dx} .$$

In your case, you need to use some definition of the curl operation to show that

$$ \nabla \times (f \vec{A}) = \nabla f \times \vec{A} + f (\nabla \times \vec{A}).$$

You can then manipulate this in a way analogous to the usual integration by parts formula to find an appropriate generalization.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted