How to interpolate big data with small deviation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a polynomial for a large number of points, within a specific range and with a small deviation. The person has tried multiple functions in Matlab and is seeking help. The conversation also mentions using combinations of x and y to create a polynomial, but there are differences between the defined and computed z values. The source of data is provided, but there is no visible symmetry. The person has also tried using 4th order terms, but there is no improvement.
a.gardonova
Hi,
I've got a problem. There is over 9 milions points in my .txt. I have to find polynom for surface of this points with deviation smaller then 0.01 (x [-3:3], y[-3,3], z [-9,9]).
I try many functions in Matlab, but no answer.
Thank for help.
B

Physics news on Phys.org
Which functions did you try in Matlab? Did you used a fit to determine the prefactors in your polynomials?
Did you consider terms like x*y, x^2*y^4*z and similar? They might be required to approximate your data with a polynomial.

Last edited:
Hi,
main wasthis:
m=[0 0 ; 1 0 ;0 1;2 0;2 1; 2 2 ;0 2;1 2; 3 0; 3 1;3 2; 3 3; 0 3;1 3; 2 3];
coeff=least_square_polyfit_xyz(x,y,z,m);
m are combinations of using x and y () so it will make a + b*x + c*y +d*x^2...
bud there are very big diferences between defined z and computed z. The proble is, that my surface is only little curved plane, but there are 2 singularities (ist surface with volcanos).

Ah, it is just f(x,y)=z
Do you have to use a polynomial?

11 is missing in your list.

Is there any visible symmetry?
What about terms of 4th order?

I repair script, but there is no improve.
This is the source of data, if you can try it. There is no symetry, so I don't know how to do this.
http://m37.fsv.cvut.cz/nm/data.txt
I've tried also 4th order, but also no improve.

1. What is interpolation and why is it useful for big data with small deviation?

Interpolation is a method used to estimate values between known data points. It is useful for big data with small deviation because it allows us to fill in the gaps and get a more accurate representation of the data. This can help us make more informed decisions and predictions.

2. What are the different types of interpolation methods?

The most common types of interpolation methods are linear, polynomial, and spline interpolation. Linear interpolation uses a straight line to connect data points, polynomial interpolation uses a curve to connect data points, and spline interpolation uses a series of curves to connect data points.

3. How do you choose the best interpolation method for big data with small deviation?

The best interpolation method for big data with small deviation will depend on the specific data set and the level of accuracy needed. Generally, linear interpolation is best for data with a relatively consistent slope, polynomial interpolation is best for data with a more complex shape, and spline interpolation is best for data with sharp changes in direction. It is important to also consider the potential for overfitting when choosing an interpolation method.

4. What are some limitations of interpolation for big data with small deviation?

One limitation of interpolation is that it assumes a smooth and continuous relationship between data points, which may not always be the case in real-world data. Additionally, interpolation can only estimate values within the range of the known data points, so it may not be accurate for extrapolation. Another limitation is that the accuracy of the interpolation will depend on the spacing and distribution of the data points.

5. Are there any tools or software programs available for interpolating big data with small deviation?

Yes, there are many tools and software programs available for interpolating big data with small deviation. Some popular options include Microsoft Excel, MATLAB, Python's SciPy library, and the open-source software R. These tools offer a variety of interpolation methods and allow for customization and visualization of the interpolated data.