How to interpret integration by parts

In summary, the author is discussing a proof in which the formula for expected value of velocity, ##\frac{d\langle x \rangle}{dt} ##, is derived. The expected value of the position of wave function is $$\langle x \rangle =\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x|\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx$$Therefore, $$\frac{d\langle x \rangle}{dt} = \int x\frac {\partial } {\partial t} |\Psi|^2 dx = \frac{i \hbar}{2m}\int x\frac {\partial } {\partial
Tony Hau
TL;DR Summary
I don't know where this question suits; does it belong to calculus or quantum mechanics? But anyway, I would like to ask a question about deriving the expected value of velocity of wave function.
So I am confused about a proof in which the formula for expected value of velocity, ##\frac{d\langle x \rangle}{dt} ##, is derived.

Firstly, because the expected value of the position of wave function is $$\langle x \rangle =\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x|\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx$$Therefore, $$\frac{d\langle x \rangle}{dt} = \int x\frac {\partial } {\partial t} |\Psi|^2 dx = \frac{i \hbar}{2m}\int x\frac {\partial } {\partial x} (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x}-\frac{\partial \Psi^{*}} {\partial x}\Psi)dx -(1)$$

The author then writes:
This expression can be simplified using integration-by-parts, which gives: $$\frac{d\langle x \rangle}{dt} =-\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\int (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x}-\frac{\partial \Psi^{*}} {\partial x}\Psi)dx -(2)$$

(By the way, he has also written this line of notes: I used the fact that ##\frac{\partial x} {\partial x} =1##, and threw away the boundary term, on the grounds that ##\Psi## goes to zero at ##(\pm)## infinity.)

At the bottom of the page, he makes a note as follows:
For $$ \int_a^b f\frac{dg}{dx}dx = -\int_a^b\frac{df}{dx}g dx +fg |_a^b$$
Under the integral sign, then, you can peel a derivative off one factor in a product, and slap it onto the other one - it'll cost you a minus sign, and you'll pick up a boundary condition.

To be honest with, I have no idea of what it means by "you can peel a derivative off one factor in a product, and slap it onto the other one". Plus, I don't know how the author transits from eq(1) to eq(2). According to my previous calculus II knowledge, whenever we see an integrand composed of a product of two functions, we should try to evaluate the antiderivative of one of the functions and expand it into the integration by parts. However, it seems that there is a more sophisticated way of understanding it in physics.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
I think by this stage in your physics studies, you are expected to have seen this sort of thing before. If you haven't there are quite a few steps here.

Note that you've dropped the ##x## from the integrand. What you have doesn't make sense, therefore. In terms of integration by parts, the first function is ##x## and the second function is the rest of the integrand, which is a derivative wrt the integration variable. Using the parts rule (integrate the second function) this cancels the derivative.

It's just the usual integration by parts here, with a vanishing boundary term.

Likes bhobba and Tony Hau
PeroK said:
I think by this stage in your physics studies, you are expected to have seen this sort of thing before. If you haven't there are quite a few steps here.

Note that you've dropped the ##x## from the integrand. What you have doesn't make sense, therefore. In terms of integration by parts, the first function is ##x## and the second function is the rest of the integrand, which is a derivative wrt the integration variable. Using the parts rule (integrate the second function) this cancels the derivative.

Yes, I have seen a few times, for example in electrodynamics. But I chose to ignore the proofs at that time. Now I feel obliged to understand it...

Likes bhobba and Demystifier
Tony Hau said:
Yes, I have seen a few times, for example in electrodynamics. But I chose to ignore the proofs at that time. Now I feel obliged to understand it...
Well, you can hardly complain now! :wink:

Likes Tony Hau
PeroK said:

I have added back that ##x##. So here is what I think: $$\frac{d\langle x \rangle}{dt} = \frac{i \hbar}{2m}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x\frac {\partial } {\partial x} (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x}-\frac{\partial \Psi^{*}} {\partial x}\Psi)dx $$
$$= -\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{\partial x} {\partial x} (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x}-\frac{\partial \Psi^{*}} {\partial x}\Psi)dx + \left. (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x}-\frac{\partial \Psi^{*}} {\partial x}\Psi) x \right| _{-\infty}^{+\infty}$$
Because wave function is ##0## at ##\pm \infty##, the second term on the right hand side is ##0##.
$$\frac{d\langle x \rangle}{dt} =-\frac{i \hbar}{2m} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x}-\frac{\partial \Psi^{*}} {\partial x}\Psi)dx$$
For $$ \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x})dx-\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (\frac{\partial \Psi^{*}} {\partial x}\Psi)dx$$
$$\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x})dx = -\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{\partial \Psi^*} {\partial x}\Psi dx + \left. \Psi \Psi^* \right|_{-\infty}^{\infty}$$
Again, the second term is ##0##. Substituting the result back to the equation, we get: $$\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x})dx-\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (\frac{\partial \Psi^{*}} {\partial x}\Psi)dx = 2\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x})dx$$
Therefore, $$\frac{d\langle x \rangle}{dt} =-\frac{i\hbar}{m}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x})dx$$
$$\langle p \rangle=m\frac{d\langle x \rangle}{dt}=-i\hbar\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial x})dx$$

Likes bhobba and PeroK
PeroK said:
Well, you can hardly complain now! :wink:
A very silly question: when performing the integration wrt to dx, we keep the variable in ##\Psi## constant, right? Sorry but I am not very familiar with such type of multivariable integration.

Tony Hau said:
A very silly question: when performing the integration wrt to dx, we keep the varaible in ##\Psi## constant, right? Sorry but I am not very familiar with such type of multivariable integration.
Actually, ##\Psi(x, t)## is a function of two variables. If you integrate wrt ##x##, then ##t## is essentially a constant and the normal rule of parts applies with partial derivatives instead of ordinary derivatives, where appropriate.

Also, a technical point: it's not actually enough that ##\Psi(x, t) \rightarrow 0## as ##x \rightarrow \pm \infty##. You need the stronger condition that ##x\Psi \frac{\partial \Psi^*}{\partial x} \ \rightarrow \ 0##. But, generally, physically viable wave-functions will have this property and tend exponentially to zero for large ##x##.

Likes BvU, bhobba and Tony Hau
Tony Hau said:
To be honest with, I have no idea of what it means by "you can peel a derivative off one factor in a product, and slap it onto the other one".
It's a poetry. If you don't understand poetry, here is a quote of Paul Dirac:
"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite."

Likes Delta2, bhobba, Klystron and 2 others
Demystifier said:
It's a poetry. If you don't understand poetry, here is a quote of Paul Dirac:
"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite."
By the way, the poet is David J. Griffiths :)

Likes Demystifier
Tony Hau said:
By the way, the poet is David J. Griffiths :)
It's time for a Haiku, I guess:

Quantum Mechanics.
A statistical heaven,
Or classical hell?

• Haha
Likes Klystron, mattt, Tony Hau and 1 other person
PeroK said:
It's time for a Haiku, I guess:

Quantum Mechanics.
A statistical heaven,
Or classical hell?
To be or not to be?
Ontological interpretation,
Or a Copenhagen one?

Likes bhobba and Tony Hau
I think this proof is overly complicated. One can just use the Schrödinger equation
$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \psi=\hat{H} \psi, \quad -\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \psi^* = \hat{H} \psi^*.$$
From this you get
$$\mathrm{d}_t \langle x \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x \frac{1}{\mathrm{i} \hbar}[\psi^* x \hat{H} \psi - x \hat{H} \psi^* \psi]=\frac{1}{\mathrm{i} \hbar} \langle [\hat{x},\hat{H}] \rangle=\frac{1}{m} \langle p \rangle.$$
In the last steps I've used the self-adjointness of ##\hat{H}## and ##[\hat{x},\hat{H}]=1/(2m) [\hat{x},\hat{p}^2]=1/m \hat{p}##.

Likes Delta2, dextercioby, BvU and 2 others

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts and then using a specific formula to solve it.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, and it is difficult to find the antiderivative using other methods such as substitution or u-substitution. It is also useful when the integral involves trigonometric functions or logarithmic functions.

3. How do I choose which function to differentiate and which function to integrate?

When using integration by parts, it is important to choose the correct functions to differentiate and integrate. A common method is to use the acronym "LIATE," which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential. The function that comes first in this order should be chosen as the one to differentiate.

4. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions being integrated and dv and du are their respective differentials. This formula can also be written as ∫f(x)g'(x)dx = f(x)g(x) - ∫f'(x)g(x)dx.

5. How can I check if my integration by parts solution is correct?

One way to check the solution is to differentiate it and see if it matches the original integrand. Another method is to use a graphing calculator to graph both the original function and the antiderivative obtained through integration by parts and see if they are the same.