How to interpret this Sigma notation.

In summary, a number is considered palindromic if it is the same when read forwards or backwards. This can be applied to any numeral system, where a number n > 0 is written as a sum of digits ai multiplied by powers of the base b. For a number to be palindromic, the digits on either side of the sum must be equal. Zero is considered palindromic by definition.
kieth89

Homework Statement

Taken from Wikipedia's Palindromic number entry, under formal definition header:

Although palindromic numbers are most often considered in the decimal system, the concept of palindromicity can be applied to the natural numbers in any numeral system. Consider a number n > 0 in base b ≥ 2, where it is written in standard notation with k+1 digits ai as:

[itex]n = ^{k} _{i=0}\sum{a_{i}b^{i}}[/itex]
NOTE: The K should be above the sigma, the i = 0 below..but I couldn't figure out the Itex notation for that..

with, as usual, 0 ≤ ai < b for all i and ak ≠ 0. Then n is palindromic if and only if ai = ak−i for all i. Zero is written 0 in any base and is also palindromic by definition.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't really attempt it..basically I just don't know how to interpret the a_sub i part..what does that mean? Is this showing me a pattern that I can use to determine if a number is palndromic? If so, what is the pattern.

sub letters have always bugged me.., thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
A sub i, i believe, is telling you which term in the sequence

[itex]a_i[/itex] is just some natural number. For n to be palindromic, [itex]a_i = a_{k-i}[/itex]

For example, with the number n = 12321, we have n = [itex]\sum^{k}_{i=0}a_ib^i[/itex]. n has 5 digits, so k = 4, and it's a base 10 number, so b = 10. so we have
[itex]n=\sum^{4}_{i=0}a_i10^i = a_0 10^0 +a_1 10^1 +a_2 10^2 + a_3 10^3 + a_4 10^4 [/itex]

For this number we take [itex]a_0 = 1, a_1 = 2, a_3 = 3, a_4 = 2, a_1 = 1[/itex]

[itex]n= \sum_{i= 0}^k a_ib^i[/itex]
just says that a number written in base b is a sum of numbers, [itex]a_i[/itex], the "digits", times powers of the base. The number 12034, in base 10 means 1(10000)+ 2(1000)+ 0(100)+ 3(10)+ 4(1)= 1(10^4)+ 2(10^3)+ 0(10^2)+ 3(10^1)+ 4(10^0). The number 314 can be exanded in powers of 3, say. 3^2= 9, 3^3= 27, 3^4= 81, 3^5= 243, and 3^6= 729 which is larger than 314. 243 divides into 314 once with remainder 71. That is, 314= 1(3^5)+ 71. 81 does not divide into 71 so 314= 1(3^5)+ 0(3^4)+ 71. 27 divides into 71 twice with remainder 17 so 314= 1(3^5)+ 0(3^4)+ 2(3^3)+ 17. 9 divides into 17 once with remainder 8: 314= 1(3^5)+ 0(3^4)+ 2(3^3)+ 1(3^2)+ 8. Finally, 3 divides into 8 twice with remainder 2 so 314= 1(3^5)+ 0(3^4)+ 2(3^3)+ 1(3^2)+ 2(3^1)+ 2(3^0). That is saying precisely that [itex]314= \sum_{i=0}^5 a_i b^i[/itex] with b= 3, [itex]a_0= 2[/itex], [itex]a_1= 2[/itex], [itex]a_2= 1[/itex], [itex]a_3= 2[/itex], [itex]a_4= 0[/itex], [itex]a_5= 1[/itex].

Thank you all for the very speedy and very thorough breakdowns. It makes much more sense now.

kieth89 said:

Homework Statement

Taken from Wikipedia's Palindromic number entry, under formal definition header:

Although palindromic numbers are most often considered in the decimal system, the concept of palindromicity can be applied to the natural numbers in any numeral system. Consider a number n > 0 in base b ≥ 2, where it is written in standard notation with k+1 digits ai as:

NOTE: The K should be above the sigma, the i = 0 below..but I couldn't figure out the Itex notation for that..

with, as usual, 0 ≤ ai < b for all i and ak ≠ 0. Then n is palindromic if and only if ai = ak−i for all i. Zero is written 0 in any base and is also palindromic by definition.

Homework Equations

None

Can't really attempt it..basically I just don't know how to interpret the a_sub i part..what does that mean? Is this showing me a pattern that I can use to determine if a number is palndromic? If so, what is the pattern.

To get [itex]\sum_{i=0}^k ... [/itex] use "[ i t e x] \sum_{i=0}^k ... [/i t e x]" (no spaces).

RGV

kieth89 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

What are you trying to show?

P.S. In order to put the index and stuff above/below the sigma use tex instead of itex. For example,

Code:
[tex]\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}f(x)[/tex]

results in

[tex]\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}f(x)[/tex]

Alternatively, you could write

Code:
$$\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}f(x)$$

And for itex codes you can also write:

Code:
##\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}f(x)##

which results in:

##\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}f(x)##

1. What is Sigma notation used for?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent a summation of terms. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to express a series of values that follow a specific pattern.

2. How do I read Sigma notation?

Sigma notation is read as "the sum of". The letter "sigma" (Σ) represents the sum, the lower limit below the sigma indicates the starting value of the summation, the upper limit above the sigma indicates the ending value of the summation, and the expression after the sigma indicates the pattern or formula to be applied to each term.

3. What is the purpose of the lower and upper limits in Sigma notation?

The lower and upper limits in Sigma notation indicate the range of values to be included in the summation. The lower limit is the starting value and the upper limit is the ending value of the summation.

4. How do I evaluate a Sigma notation expression?

To evaluate a Sigma notation expression, you can plug in the values for the lower and upper limits and use the given formula or pattern to calculate each term. Then, you can add all the calculated values together to get the final result.

5. Can Sigma notation be used for any type of series?

Yes, Sigma notation can be used for any type of series as long as there is a clear pattern or formula that can be applied to each term. It is commonly used for arithmetic and geometric series, but it can also be used for other types of series such as trigonometric series.