1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to keep liquid flow rate constant

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    How to keep liquid flow rate constant!!

hi, my grad. project is automated filling machine and am gonna use a gravity liquid (water) filler tank ... my question is how to keep the flow rate from the tank nozzle constant while the liquid level in tank is changing as it fills every bottle ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: How to keep liquid flow rate constant!!

Variable orifice size?

Why is constant flow rate important?

4. May 16, 2010 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pressure regulator with restriction downstream.

5. May 16, 2010 #4

@ Integral
    no the orifice size is fixed .. and i want fixed flow rate to keep the machine production rate constant whatever how many bottles are being filled

@ Q Goest
    sry i`m an electrical engineer and this is not my field of study, so can u plz tell me how can i regulate the pressure inside the tank

6. May 16, 2010 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't regulate the pressure inside the tank. You would have a pipe coming off the tank and going into a pressure regulator. That regulator sets the pressure in the pipe downstream of the regulator. Now pipe that into a restriction such as a needle valve and adjust the valve till you get the right flow rate. Since the pressure upstream and downstream of the valve is always constant, the flow through the valve will always be constant. To do this properly, you may need more than head pressure (ie: more than a few psi). You may want to consider a pressurized tank or elevating the tank enough to provide some head pressure.

7. May 16, 2010 #6

I suggest keeping an open tank with a constant head. You can have the water leak over the side, but this will waste some water. Perhaps you could use a float and valve like you find in the back of a toilet. Simpler and cheaper than a regulator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook