Why is blood flow rate constant?

In summary, the flow rate stays the same in a non-ideal system due to continuity of the fluid. There are forces that keep the flow rate constant.
hongiddong
I am having trouble understanding why blood flow rate is constant between the aorta and the sum of capillaries/sum of the arterioles. I keep thinking that in the arterioles or capillaries there is a decrease in velocity and somehow this decrease in velocity will decrease the total amount of blood or time that passes through the total amount of capillaries?

Thank you physicsforums!

Physics news on Phys.org
If there was a difference blood would accumulate somewhere.

The velocity may very well be different but the flow rate is velocity multiplied by area.

Orodruin said:
If there was a difference blood would accumulate somewhere.
Or leave the body. Both is possible and dangerous.

A.T. said:
Or leave the body. Both is possible and dangerous.
Or life saving in the case of blood donations.

Likes berkeman
From this discussion, I have another question that relates to this problem.

Say in bernoulies equation we go from a bigger pipe to a smaller pipe, the velocity increases in the smaller pipe to maintain the flow rate.

1. In the problem above, Why does the flow rate stay the same? It seems as if it is due to the ideal condition(no resistance, friction, and incompressibility. 2. also, for the example of a human body, it seems weird that the cardiac output would remain the same when it is not in an ideal condition?

Thank you Orodruin and A.T.!

hongiddong said:
Say in bernoulies equation we go from a bigger pipe to a smaller pipe, the velocity increases in the smaller pipe to maintain the flow rate.

1. In the problem above, Why does the flow rate stay the same?
I'm not following: are you sure you aren't still confusing flow velocity and [volumetric] flow rate? Again, in a steady and closed system, the flow rate has to stay the same to satisfy continuity. The flow has nowhere else to go.
It seems as if it is due to the ideal condition(no resistance, friction, and incompressibility.
It isn't. The human circulatory system is very, very non-ideal, but continuity must apply (given the noted constraints against flow into or out of the system).
2. also, for the example of a human body, it seems weird that the cardiac output would remain the same when it is not in an ideal condition?
I don't understand this either. The same as what? The human body is non-ideal and certainly does behave differently from a similarly constructed but ideal system.

Hey Watters,

Ahh I see now the difference between velocity which is the speed of flow vs flow(the volume that passes by per time.

I guess my only question now is what forces would keep the continuity of flow(Liters/min)to keep on moving without dissipation in the closed circuit of the heart.

Thought experiment: as the heart pushes the blood, the initial blood then pushes the blood in front of it, so perhaps the heart has enough strength to push out the initial blood against the all the blood in front of it to maintain the flow rate.

Thank you Watter.

hongiddong said:
I guess my only question now is what forces would keep the continuity of flow(Liters/min)to keep on moving without dissipation in the closed circuit of the heart.
Fluid flow is all about velocity versus pressure. They are related by Bernoulli's principle.
Thought experiment: as the heart pushes the blood, the initial blood then pushes the blood in front of it, so perhaps the heart has enough strength to push out the initial blood against the all the blood in front of it to maintain the flow rate.
Yes.

One thing I think is important to understand about non-ideal flow situations that may be relevant here is that when you have a pump (or fan) in a steady flow system, all of the input energy is lost. All of the input energy provided by the pump goes toward countering friction and viscous losses in order to maintain the steady flow.

Likes hongiddong

1. Why is blood flow rate constant?

The blood flow rate is constant because of the body's ability to regulate blood pressure. The heart, blood vessels, and kidneys work together to maintain a consistent blood pressure, which in turn ensures a constant blood flow rate. Additionally, the diameter of blood vessels can adjust to accommodate changes in blood flow, helping to keep the flow rate constant.

2. What factors affect blood flow rate?

Several factors can affect blood flow rate, including blood viscosity, blood vessel diameter, and blood pressure. Changes in these factors can cause fluctuations in blood flow rate, but the body's regulatory mechanisms work to keep it constant.

3. How does blood pressure affect blood flow rate?

Blood pressure is a major determinant of blood flow rate. When blood pressure increases, the blood flow rate also increases, and vice versa. This is because higher blood pressure means a greater force pushing the blood through the vessels, resulting in a faster flow rate.

4. Is blood flow rate the same in all parts of the body?

No, the blood flow rate can vary in different parts of the body. Some areas, such as the brain and heart, require a higher blood flow rate to meet their oxygen and nutrient demands. Other areas, such as the skin and digestive system, may have a lower blood flow rate.

5. How is blood flow rate measured?

Blood flow rate is typically measured using a device called a Doppler ultrasound, which uses sound waves to measure the speed and direction of blood flow. Other methods, such as cardiac output monitoring, can also be used to determine blood flow rate.