Gas and liquid flow rates in Gas-liquid flow loop

In summary: EIT sensor is located in the vertical part below the water tank. Based on this diagram and the information you've given, it is possible to estimate the flow rate in the horizontal section. The flow rate is 22 SLPM, which is the same as the air flow meter reading of 22 SLPM.
ben wilkie

Homework Statement

I'm working on my research project at uni, running a gas-liquid flow loop for horizontal stratified flow exhibiting wave propagation. The equipment I have however is setup to investigate vertical flow primarily and the flow meters are located on the vertical sections. I need to convert the flow rates from the water turbine meter that gives the liquid velocity inside the vertical section using readings from an electromagnetic flow meter. The rates are linked by this equation:

Qw=0.0469xRPM+0.542; where RPM is the revolutions per min given by the water turbine meter.

So i can get the water flow rate from this, and assume it is the same in the horizontal section, incompressible. For the gas flow, I have a air flow meter that says 22 SLPM of air is added to the loop, this is at the bottom of the loop so is not the same as that in the horizontal part.

The pipe diameter is 50mm

I'm trying to convert this reading to the actual flow rate in the horizontal section, based on reading I get for pressure drop between this point and the horizontal section as well as any temperature difference. I'll be using void fraction readings after calculating these flow rates from an EIT system and Wire mesh system to estimate the amount of liquid filling the pipe.

So if my pressure drop between the inlet and the hori section is 20 Pa and the temperature has changed from 20 deg celsius to 20.5 deg celsius and the gas flow meter is reading 22 SLPM, how would I determine the flow rate in the horizontal section.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ben. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Is it realistic to think that we can figure out what you system(s) look like without your providing diagram(s)?

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/12968180_1337075979652457_6056805037489347515_o.jpg

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/12973391_1337075949652460_5051568555513035757_o.jpg

This is a diagram of the system, only difference is that the WMS200 and ERT sensors are located in the horizontal part above the water tank

1. What is the difference between gas and liquid flow rates in a gas-liquid flow loop?

The gas flow rate refers to the amount of gas that is flowing through the system per unit of time, while the liquid flow rate refers to the amount of liquid that is flowing through the system per unit of time. In a gas-liquid flow loop, both the gas and liquid flow rates are important factors that affect the overall performance of the system.

2. How are gas and liquid flow rates measured in a gas-liquid flow loop?

The gas flow rate is typically measured using a gas flow meter, which can be based on different principles such as thermal, differential pressure, or ultrasonic. The liquid flow rate is usually measured using a liquid flow meter, which can also be based on different principles such as magnetic, vortex, or ultrasonic.

3. What factors can affect the gas and liquid flow rates in a gas-liquid flow loop?

The gas flow rate can be affected by factors such as the gas pressure, temperature, density, and viscosity. The liquid flow rate can be influenced by factors such as the liquid density, viscosity, surface tension, and the presence of any entrained gas or particles.

4. How do gas and liquid flow rates affect each other in a gas-liquid flow loop?

In a gas-liquid flow loop, the gas and liquid flow rates are interdependent. The gas flow rate affects the liquid flow rate by creating a drag force on the liquid, causing it to flow. Similarly, the liquid flow rate affects the gas flow rate by providing a resistance to the gas flow. The balance between these two flow rates is crucial in maintaining stable operation of the system.

5. Can the gas and liquid flow rates be controlled in a gas-liquid flow loop?

Yes, the gas and liquid flow rates can be controlled in a gas-liquid flow loop by adjusting various parameters such as the pump or compressor speed, valve openings, or changing the properties of the gas or liquid. Accurate control of these flow rates is essential for maintaining optimal performance of the system.