Calculate Liquid Flow Rate in Isolated Pipes

In summary: My understanding is that the "intake" side of the valve is pressure controlled and the "output" side is not. So, if the pressure differential is high, the valve will not seal and product will be leaking past the valve. If the pressure differential is low, the valve will seal and no product will be leaking past it.You might want to do some tests to measure the flow rate at various pressure differentials and fraction valve closures.
atc250r
Hello, my first post here. I encounter a situation frequently at work that I'd like help with so here it is...

When I isolate a particular section of pipe (by closing valves), I then bleed off the pressure in the isolated section (volume of isolated pipe varies from 3 cubic meters up to about 18 cubic meters). I often bleed the pressure down to about 10psi. Then I observe a digital pressure gauge to confirm that the closed valves are holding. There is often upwards of 300-800 psi of crude oil in this pipe. Occasionally, the pressure in the isolated section climbs slowly 20 psi/minute (give or take). Sometimes the valves hold completely and no pressure rise occurs in the isolated section and then we're all happy. But when the pressure does climb, how can I get a "liters/minute" flow rate so that I know how much product will be leaking past the valves after I have drained the isolated section and I open that isolated section for maintenance. I need to know if the leakage is manageable or not. I assume the variable numbers you need to know are:

isolated pipe volume: 5 cubic meters
time: 60 seconds
pressure rise: 10 psi
mainline pressure: 500 psi
incoming flow rate (leakage past closed valve): ?? Liters/minute

Is there a formula for this that will work on various sizes of isolated pipe sections? Maybe mainline pressure is irrelavent? Do you need more info?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
atc250r said:
Hello, my first post here. I encounter a situation frequently at work that I'd like help with so here it is...

When I isolate a particular section of pipe (by closing valves), I then bleed off the pressure in the isolated section (volume of isolated pipe varies from 3 cubic meters up to about 18 cubic meters). I often bleed the pressure down to about 10psi. Then I observe a digital pressure gauge to confirm that the closed valves are holding. There is often upwards of 300-800 psi of crude oil in this pipe. Occasionally, the pressure in the isolated section climbs slowly 20 psi/minute (give or take). Sometimes the valves hold completely and no pressure rise occurs in the isolated section and then we're all happy. But when the pressure does climb, how can I get a "liters/minute" flow rate so that I know how much product will be leaking past the valves after I have drained the isolated section and I open that isolated section for maintenance. I need to know if the leakage is manageable or not. I assume the variable numbers you need to know are:

isolated pipe volume: 5 cubic meters
time: 60 seconds
pressure rise: 10 psi
mainline pressure: 500 psi
incoming flow rate (leakage past closed valve): ?? Liters/minute

Is there a formula for this that will work on various sizes of isolated pipe sections? Maybe mainline pressure is irrelavent? Do you need more info?

Thanks!
It seems to me that you need to do some off line laboratory tests on a valve to measure the flow rate as a function of the pressure difference and fraction valve closure.

Chestermiller said:
It seems to me that you need to do some off line laboratory tests on a valve to measure the flow rate as a function of the pressure difference and fraction valve closure.

If the valve is working as it should, there would be zero leakage through it, no matter the pressure differential acting upon the valve. Certain valves in the system seal 100%, others that are older, do not. When they don't seal 100%, it would be really nice to know how many litres/minute will be leaking past the valve once the system is "opened".

1. How do you calculate liquid flow rate in isolated pipes?

The liquid flow rate in isolated pipes can be calculated using the equation Q = A * v, where Q is the flow rate in cubic meters per second, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe in square meters, and v is the average velocity of the liquid in meters per second.

2. What factors influence the liquid flow rate in isolated pipes?

The liquid flow rate in isolated pipes is influenced by several factors, including the diameter and length of the pipe, the viscosity and density of the liquid, and the pressure and temperature of the system. Other factors such as the roughness of the pipe surface and any obstacles in the path of the liquid can also affect the flow rate.

3. How does the viscosity of the liquid affect the flow rate in isolated pipes?

The viscosity of the liquid directly affects the flow rate in isolated pipes. Liquids with higher viscosity will flow more slowly than liquids with lower viscosity, as they have a greater resistance to flow. This means that a higher velocity is required for the same flow rate in a more viscous liquid compared to a less viscous one.

4. Can the flow rate in isolated pipes be increased?

Yes, the flow rate in isolated pipes can be increased by increasing the pressure or temperature of the system, or by using a pump to increase the velocity of the liquid. Additionally, using a pipe with a larger diameter or smoother surface can also increase the flow rate.

5. How accurate are calculations for liquid flow rate in isolated pipes?

The accuracy of calculations for liquid flow rate in isolated pipes depends on several factors, such as the accuracy of the measurements used for the equation, the assumptions made about the system, and the level of complexity of the system. In real-world scenarios, there may be variations in the flow rate due to factors such as turbulence and changes in pressure and temperature, so it is important to consider these factors when making calculations.