How to know if a blower will be able to overcome system resistance?

In summary, in order to calculate system resistance and determine if a blower can overcome it, you need to determine the total airflow required, measure the resistance of each component, and then compare the static pressure required to the performance curve of the blower. It is also recommended to choose a blower with a slightly higher static pressure rating for optimal performance.
Gurasees
TL;DR Summary
I want to decide which blower to chose while extracting moisture from a chamber. I have calculated the air flow required. I need to maintain minimum velocity of air in the chamber. So I need to know if the blower will be able to overcome the system resistance.
The rectangular chamber contains inclined perforated plates through which the air passes. At the top there is a blower and at the front as well as back bottom there are openings for air inlet. How do I calculate system resistance and know if a certain blower will be able to overcome it?

Physics news on Phys.org

Calculating system resistance can be a bit tricky, but here are some steps you can follow:

1. Determine the total airflow required for your system. This can be done by calculating the volume of the chamber and the desired number of air changes per hour.

2. Measure the resistance of each component in your system, including the perforated plates, the inlet openings, and any other obstructions.

3. Add up the resistances of all the components to get the total system resistance. This can be done using a formula or by consulting a resistance chart.

4. Calculate the static pressure required to overcome the system resistance. This can also be done using a formula or by using a fan selection program.

Once you have determined the static pressure required, you can compare it to the performance curve of the blower you are considering. This will tell you if the blower is capable of overcoming the system resistance. It's always a good idea to choose a blower with a slightly higher static pressure rating than what is required to ensure optimal performance.

1. How do I determine the system resistance of my blower?

The system resistance of a blower can be determined by calculating the total pressure drop across the system. This can be done by measuring the pressure at the inlet and outlet of the blower, as well as any other components in the system, such as filters or ductwork. The difference between the inlet and outlet pressures will give you the total pressure drop, which is the system resistance.

2. What factors affect the ability of a blower to overcome system resistance?

There are several factors that can affect a blower's ability to overcome system resistance, such as the size and design of the blower, the type and condition of the motor, the speed at which the blower is operating, and the overall efficiency of the system. It is important to consider all of these factors when selecting a blower for a specific application.

3. Can a blower be too powerful for a system?

Yes, a blower can be too powerful for a system. If the blower is too large or powerful for the system resistance, it can cause issues such as excessive noise, vibration, and energy consumption. It is important to select a blower that is properly sized and matched to the system resistance in order to achieve optimal performance.

4. How can I increase the ability of a blower to overcome system resistance?

There are several ways to increase the ability of a blower to overcome system resistance. One option is to increase the speed of the blower, which will increase the airflow and pressure output. Another option is to optimize the design of the blower, such as using a more efficient impeller or adding additional stages. It is also important to regularly maintain and clean the blower to ensure it is operating at peak performance.

5. What happens if a blower is unable to overcome system resistance?

If a blower is unable to overcome system resistance, it may not be able to deliver the required airflow and pressure for the system to function properly. This can result in reduced performance, increased energy consumption, and potential damage to the blower. It is important to carefully select a blower that is capable of overcoming the system resistance to ensure optimal performance and longevity.