How to make a short range, remote-controlled electromagnet?

In summary, the author is working on a high school production of Beauty and the Beast where he needs to build an electromagnet that can be controlled by switches offstage to represent the castle's inhabitants becoming less human. He is looking for help and recommends a low voltage solenoid or finding a girl to do a "helpless male" routine.
Alex Schmitt
I am currently working on my high school's upcoming production of Beauty and the Beast. In the musical, there is a rose which loses petals at specific moments in the script that represent the castle's inhabitants slowly becoming less human. I figured that one of the best ways to do this remotely would be with electromagnets that could be individually controlled by simple switches offstage. The problem is, no one in the crew or tech team knows anything about electrical circuits or physics including me, although I probably know the most.

I essentially need to build an assembly with about five magnets that can be released independently throughout the play. The "rose" will be around twelve inches wide and there will probably only be a six or so inch cavity in the center for all the mechanisms as well a three foot column that the rose will be placed on. The person controlling their release will be about 15' away.

I appreciate any help you can give me and if you don't think I am capable of completing this project with my little knowledge on the topic, please tell me so and I'll try to find a better solution. The budget is preferably $100 if possible. Thanks!

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

You don't need to make your own. An electromagnet that moves a plunger rod is called a solenoid. Solenoids of many times can be found by Internet search, or on Ebay or Amazon. Activating the solenoid remotely can move the plunger and release a petal.

I recommend a low voltage solenoid because that would be safer. You could power it with a 6 volt lantern battery. You should not try to make your own 120V AC circuits.
main-qimg-9e1956215cafd5a498f9483eb86ddddc.gif

Attachments

• main-qimg-9e1956215cafd5a498f9483eb86ddddc.gif
    main-qimg-9e1956215cafd5a498f9483eb86ddddc.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,276
Likes berkeman
A good source for both solenoids and electromagnets is McMaster-Carr: www.mcmaster.com. Digikey has low cost solenoids: www.digikey.com.

Or maybe you could hang each petal from a pin, then retract the pin by pulling a string.

Or go over to the physics class, find a girl, and use some version of a "helpless male" routine.

Likes anorlunda
Just FYI - this prop can be bought or http://www.stagemonkeydesign.com/rentals/prop-rental/beauty-and-the-beast/enchanted-rose.html for less than $100... since it is important to the story you want it to work well. I know know this because our HS did this last year...

The petals I believe are to actually fall off the rose, so maybe hack some little relays, and have the petals held in the contacts?

Likes russ_watters

1. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using an electrical current to create a magnetic field. When a current passes through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. By coiling the wire multiple times, the magnetic field becomes stronger. This magnetism can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity to the wire.

2. What materials do I need to make a short range, remote-controlled electromagnet?

You will need a power source (such as a battery), insulated wire, a metal rod or core, a switch, and a remote control circuit. Optional materials include a magnet wire, a capacitor, and a resistor to control the strength of the electromagnet.

3. How can I control the strength and range of the electromagnet?

The strength of the electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire. This can be done by using different sized batteries or by adding a resistor or capacitor to the circuit. The range of the electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the number of coils in the wire or by using a stronger or weaker metal core.

4. Is it safe to use an electromagnet?

As long as the electromagnet is properly constructed and used according to safety guidelines, it is generally safe to use. However, caution should always be taken when working with electricity and electromagnets, as they can be powerful and potentially dangerous.

5. What are some practical applications of short range, remote-controlled electromagnets?

Short range, remote-controlled electromagnets have many practical applications. They can be used in transportation systems, such as magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in industrial settings for lifting and moving heavy objects. In the medical field, electromagnets are used in MRI machines. Additionally, they are used in everyday devices such as doorbells, speakers, and electric motors.