How to make a remote control on / off switch

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of creating a simple remote control on/off switch for a string of LV leds. The individual was seeking advice and mentioned considering hacking a remote controlled car as a possible solution. Another member suggested avoiding parks and places with kids to prevent unwanted triggering.
John Readman
Hi all,

I would like to make a simple remote control on / off switch. It is for a string of LV leds. 12 V and 0.24 amp running from a battery supply.

I would simply like remote switch instead of a toggle so no one else can fiddle with it.

Can anyone help me, I have been scouring the internet but can find little advice...

Thanks,

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
Once I needed a remote controlled circuit, and I bought a $2.99 R/C car and hacked it. It was way easier than making one from scratch. Just avoid parks and place with kids or be prepared for many undesired triggerings.

Hi Sakha,
This is a very good idea. I had been thinking about pulling apart a remote dimmer switch for interior lighting. Your way sounds more fun.

1. How does a remote control on/off switch work?

A remote control on/off switch works by using a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter sends a signal to the receiver, which then activates or deactivates the switch. This can be done through different methods such as infrared, radio frequency, or Bluetooth.

2. What materials are needed to make a remote control on/off switch?

The materials needed to make a remote control on/off switch include a transmitter, a receiver, batteries, wiring, and a switch. The specific materials may vary depending on the type of switch you are making.

3. Can I make a remote control on/off switch for any device?

In theory, yes, you can make a remote control on/off switch for any device as long as it has a switch that can be activated or deactivated. However, the process and materials needed may vary depending on the device and its specific switch.

4. How difficult is it to make a remote control on/off switch?

The difficulty level of making a remote control on/off switch can vary depending on your knowledge and experience with electronics. It may also depend on the complexity of the switch and the type of device it is for. Some people may find it easy, while others may find it challenging.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a remote control on/off switch?

As with any electronic project, it is important to follow safety precautions when making a remote control on/off switch. This includes wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and using caution when working with electricity and batteries. It is also important to carefully follow instructions and double-check all connections to avoid any potential hazards.