1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Piston using a holding magnet and permanent magnets?

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    Dear all - I am new here so please be gentle :smile:

I have searched the site for a few days but alas still have a few questions on something i am hoping to make........so with your kind help - here we go!

I am looking to make a type of electromagnetic piston, basically i want to have an external section which holds a 12vdc holding electromagnet which will be placed on the outside of a tank, with an internal section that has for example a neodymium disk magnet inside a tube - so when the electromagnet is engaged it repels the permanent magnet, which will return when the electromagnet is disengaged.......

I admit there are a few details i need to think of here - as to how i can control the disk magnet to get it to return when the power is disengaged etc.......but you clever souls may also be able to help with that!

i was thinking of having the disk magnet in the central reaches of say a 4inch long tube, and constrined in this location by spacers which would prevent the magnet from straying too far - at the end of the tube on the outer edge (other side of the restraining spacer) i could have a ring magnet that repels the disk magnet so when the more powerful electromagnet is off, the ring magnet pushes the disk magnet back towards the electromagnet end..........stop me if i am way way off track!!!!

alternatively - would it be possible to alternate the direction of the DC current so the electromagnet pushes on one cycle and pulls on the other to remove the need for a repelling permanent magnet?

Of course i also need to address how the outer and inner sides will stay in alignment on either side of the tank - i am hoping this can be achieved by strong magnets to hold the housing at a distance sufficient so that the electromagnet does not have an influence.....

As you can see - magnatism other than what our earths core produces is not something i know a lot about - so forgive me that flaw please!

Any help will be greatly appreciated - and i hope you get the gist of what i hope to achieve........i doubt anyone else will want to do the same thing - but it is what i hope to achieve in the coming weeks......

So to recap - i want a disk magnet to slide back and forth by a couple of inches inside a tube with the aid of an electromagnet so that i can control its speed (and i would love it if i could control the amount of travel!!)............the inside and outside sections will ideally be held together by strong magnets at a distance sufficient to not be affected by the electromagnet when engaged.......as that would be silly if it all fell apart :rofl:

Thanks so much in advance,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2
    you should post a picture...

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3
    Use a spring to return to original position with the electro magnet strong enough to push it down should make the back and forth easier to maintain unless your trying to create a high speed piston in which case do as the combustion engine and use a crank shaft below the piston which returns it on every revolution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook