Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make another interpretation of curl ?

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    How to make another interpretation of "curl"?

Recently,I've tried hard to find the physical interpretation of "curl".

But , most of what I found were the same ,that is,"fluid flow"!

I'm now wondering whether there's another annotation so that I can learn more about vecor calculus.

PS.Is there any website which has materials about "vector calculus"?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2
    Question about the definition of "curl"

Most books I read gave the definition of curl over a vector field [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] is

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node24.html

There came 2 questions:

a. Why we have to take the max in the line integral?

b. Why we have to minimize [tex]\Delta[/tex]s until it approaches to zero ? How to explain it ?

4. Jan 31, 2009 #3
    Re: How to make another interpretation of "curl"?

Try Schey's little book "div, grad, curl, and all that". Intuitively, if a vector field is interpreted as a force field, imagine placing a little paddle-wheel in it. The curl tells you relatively how fast your wheel should be spinning due to the vectors pushing in a circular motion about it ("curl" used to be known as "rotation" or "rot(X)" for short). From this, it is obvious that the curl of a constant field is everywhere 0. Also see http://betterexplained.com/articles/vector-calculus-understanding-circulation-and-curl/ .

5. Jan 31, 2009 #4

Thanks!

After I read the article you post , I can now realize the meaning (or the property) of "curl" more clearly.

:smile:

6. Jan 31, 2009 #5

There are other notations, but it's not vector calculus anymore. But I take it, you want more of a feel for it, than more equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?