1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make another interpretation of curl ?

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    How to make another interpretation of "curl"?

Recently,I've tried hard to find the physical interpretation of "curl".

But , most of what I found were the same ,that is,"fluid flow"!

I'm now wondering whether there's another annotation so that I can learn more about vecor calculus.

PS.Is there any website which has materials about "vector calculus"?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2
    Question about the definition of "curl"

Most books I read gave the definition of curl over a vector field [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] is

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node24.html

There came 2 questions:

a. Why we have to take the max in the line integral?

b. Why we have to minimize [tex]\Delta[/tex]s until it approaches to zero ? How to explain it ?

4. Jan 31, 2009 #3
    Re: How to make another interpretation of "curl"?

Try Schey's little book "div, grad, curl, and all that". Intuitively, if a vector field is interpreted as a force field, imagine placing a little paddle-wheel in it. The curl tells you relatively how fast your wheel should be spinning due to the vectors pushing in a circular motion about it ("curl" used to be known as "rotation" or "rot(X)" for short). From this, it is obvious that the curl of a constant field is everywhere 0. Also see http://betterexplained.com/articles/vector-calculus-understanding-circulation-and-curl/ .

5. Jan 31, 2009 #4

Thanks!

After I read the article you post , I can now realize the meaning (or the property) of "curl" more clearly.

:smile:

6. Jan 31, 2009 #5

There are other notations, but it's not vector calculus anymore. But I take it, you want more of a feel for it, than more equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?