• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to make most effective load support from piece of card?

Card provided one half of an a4 size (105mm x294mm)
The card is fashioned into a beam and will be subjected to a load test.

Rules
1. The card may only be folded to form a beam; you can cut it to suit your needs. It must NOT be rolled into a tube. Not permitted to use Glue, Adhesive tape, Staples or paper clips.
2. The beam must be produced entirely from the unadulterated single piece of card issued.
3. The beam cannot be attached to the apparatus. Must be placed on the rig prior to application of load.

Cannot combine to pieces of card

The support load is 6mm apart

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Card provided one half of an a4 size (105mm x294mm)
The card is fashioned into a beam and will be subjected to a load test.

Rules
1. The card may only be folded to form a beam; you can cut it to suit your needs. It must NOT be rolled into a tube. Not permitted to use Glue, Adhesive tape, Staples or paper clips.
2. The beam must be produced entirely from the unadulterated single piece of card issued.
3. The beam cannot be attached to the apparatus. Must be placed on the rig prior to application of load.

Cannot combine to pieces of card

The support load is 6mm apart
Welcome to the PF.

We cannot do your school project work for you. We can only ask questions and give hints.

What are your thoughts so far? What cross-sectional shapes make the strongest beams?

Since you cannot use any tape or adhesives to help your beam hold its shape, what are your thoughts for how to make it stay in the shape you fold it into?

Yh mate I tried making it into fine zigzags to evenly distribute the weight, it works but its not really the best method. Can you help me out?

berkeman
Mentor
Yh mate I tried making it into fine zigzags to evenly distribute the weight, it works but its not really the best method. Can you help me out?
What about my last question in my post?

Also, what other shapes can you think of that would make a strong beam?

Do you know how they will test the strength? What does the load look like?