1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to mange time to self learn extra subs along with uni courses?

1. May 29, 2013 #1
    I am an electrical engineering student. My university is not that great and the EE program is not that great either, I don't even like the subject. . I just took the best opportunity I got in my country.. Anyways, I wish to pursue higher studies abroad after graduation and I will definitely change my subject, and for that I want to be skilled at Mathematics, Physics and programming... I love Mathematics and Physics, and I hope to pursue something with a mixture of these in the future.. For that and for GRE subject tests of Mathematics and Physcis, I want to self study these subjects to an intermediate to advanced level, I have all the resources, books, lectures, etc, but since my university follows a continuous assessment scheme, there is always quizes, exams, homeworks, assignments etc. I cant seem to find time to fit the extra study along with my university course..

How can I successfully carry out the self study scheme along with university work?
    Please share time management tips, would be really greatful ....

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2013 #2
    In my experience, being torn between two things like this can be self-destructing depending on how un-interested you are with your major. I was previously in my 5th semester of my mechanical engineering degree, but I was very certain that I would be much happier studying physics (I was doing a physics minor and I enjoyed the Physics courses much more). Thus, I switched my major to physics after battling with my own uncertainties for a long time, and now I am much happier. The thing is, Engineering classes don't get any easier as you progress; even though the concepts are not as scientifically in-depth as Physics courses, they are difficult because they require you to apply rigorous mathematics to real world systems, and to do other engineering things such as cost analysis, and also to produce in-depth group projects.

I actually felt almost exactly the same way as you seem to feel, and I couldn't take it anymore, and that is why I switched. My advice is to do whatever makes you truly happy, and to do that boldly. You have to ask yourself, if I did what I am doing right now for the next 40~50 years, would I be happy? If the answer is no, then perhaps it's best to seek out a new path that you feel more comfortable. I suggest you do this as many times until you one day stumble upon that which makes you happy :)

Cheers!

4. May 31, 2013 #3
    I agree with you, but the thing is, the courses I want to pursue are not offered in my university.. The universities in which I can transfer within my country does not have the subjects either... I have no choice but to complete undergraduate level with the subject I started... Another big problem is finances, transferring abroad is not viable because no university offer any financial help for international students... I am stuck here until graduation...
    I will change my subject for graduate studies of course, and as I said earlier I want to prepare for that transition by building a strong knowledge of the basics but I can't seem to find the time to do extra studies..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook