How to measure this capacitance using a capacitance meter

In summary, the conversation involves a question about measuring capacitance between two transducers using an LCR meter. The speaker suggests joining the leads of each transducer together and mentions using metal plates as well. They also provide a formula for calculating capacitance and mention that 30pF may be expected with a water dielectric. The person thanking them agrees with the plan.
nst.john
I posted this picture in another thread but I now have a specific question for the capactance measurement between both transducers (the middle C). How can I measure the capacitance of this using an LCR meter. Where should the leads be put and what are some averages of a capacitance I should be getting for transducers about 4-5inches apart with a 3 inch diameter apporximately with a glass beaker with water between them? Thank you for your help!
IMG_20150619_155029572.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
nst.john said:
I posted this picture in another thread but I now have a specific question for the capactance measurement between both transducers (the middle C). How can I measure the capacitance of this using an LCR meter. Where should the leads be put and what are some averages of a capacitance I should be getting for transducers about 4-5inches apart with a 3 inch diameter apporximately with a glass beaker with water between them? Thank you for your help! View attachment 86010
Two metal plates of the dimensions you mention may give about 30pF with the water dielectric. I suggest joining the two leads of each transducer together. You could also experiment using metal plates. C= 0.088 kA/d (where C is the capacitance in pF, A is the area of one plate in cm2, d is the spacing in cm and k is the relative permittivity of the dielectric, about 81 for water).

Sounds like a plan. Thanks so much for the help

1. How do I connect the capacitance meter to the capacitor?

To measure capacitance using a capacitance meter, you will need to connect the red lead of the meter to the positive terminal of the capacitor and the black lead to the negative terminal. Make sure the meter is set to measure capacitance before connecting.

2. How do I read the capacitance value on the meter?

Once the meter is connected to the capacitor, it will display the capacitance value in microfarads (µF) or picofarads (pF), depending on the range setting. If the value is in pF, it may be displayed in scientific notation, so be sure to check the meter's instruction manual for guidance on reading and interpreting the value.

3. What is the best range setting to use on the meter?

The range setting on the meter should be chosen based on the expected capacitance value of the capacitor. It is recommended to start with the highest range and then adjust downwards until a more precise reading is obtained. This will ensure the most accurate measurement.

4. Can I measure the capacitance of a charged capacitor using a capacitance meter?

No, it is not recommended to measure the capacitance of a charged capacitor with a capacitance meter as it can damage the meter or give inaccurate readings. It is best to discharge the capacitor before measuring its capacitance.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my capacitance measurement?

To ensure accurate measurements, it is important to use a high-quality and calibrated capacitance meter. It is also recommended to take multiple readings and average them for a more precise result. Additionally, make sure the connections between the meter and capacitor are secure to avoid any interference or errors in the measurement.