How can I measure the shunt capacitance of an inductor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
dnyberg2
Messages
125
Reaction score
2
I know that the there is some small capacitance between the windings of an axial inductor let's say, but how does one measure this? The inductor is a short on an LCR meter...
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
dnyberg2 said:
I know that the there is some small capacitance between the windings of an axial inductor let's say, but how does one measure this? The inductor is a short on an LCR meter...

An inductor is not a short on an LCR meter. If the meter is any good, it should be able to measure all 3 quantities for a real-world inductor. What meter are you using, and what value of inductor are you trying to measure?

You can also use a DMM + Vector Impedance Meter to characterize the inductor's LCR values.
 
Increase the frequency until the coil is capacitive. From the frequency where the behaviour changes, you can deduce the capacitance - provided the inductance stays constant, far from granted.