How to Obtain a PhD: Research, Thesis & Requirements

• Programs
  • Thread starter AlbertEinstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the conversation revolves around obtaining a Phd and the process of research and thesis writing involved. The participants also discuss their names and nationalities.
AlbertEinstein
I was just wondering at how a Phd is obtained.i know that some research work is done.is the thesis for the phd a new one or old? please put some light on this matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't at all helpful, but I'm getting a chuckle out of imagining Albert Einstein asking these questions... :rofl:

a chuckle out of imagining Albert Einstein asking these questions...
Well what's in a name..Guillochon:rolleyes:

Letters usually. sometimes numbers ;)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=51406&page=8

Some background in posts #104, 105 (or thereabouts), but the heart of the matter comes up in #107.

thanks gokul, btw are u an indian, gokul?

1. What is a PhD?

A PhD, or Doctor of Philosophy, is the highest level of academic degree that can be obtained. It is typically pursued by individuals seeking a career in research or academia.

2. How long does it take to complete a PhD?

The length of time it takes to complete a PhD can vary depending on the field of study and the individual's progress. On average, it takes 4-6 years to complete a PhD program.

3. What is involved in obtaining a PhD?

To obtain a PhD, one must complete original research in their field of study and write a thesis or dissertation. This research is typically done under the guidance of a faculty advisor and is evaluated by a committee of experts in the field.

4. What are the requirements for a PhD program?

The specific requirements for a PhD program can vary, but generally, applicants must have a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field and must submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require standardized test scores.

5. Can I work while pursuing a PhD?

Many PhD programs allow students to work part-time or even full-time while pursuing their degree. However, it is important to consider the time and dedication required for a PhD program and make sure that working does not hinder academic progress.