PhD research to industry question

In summary: It's definitely an interesting career field with a lot of potential, but not one that is right for everyone.There is a lot of potential in aerospace engineering, but it's important to be realistic about what the field can offer.In summary, if you are considering a PhD in aerospace engineering, it is important to be realistic about what the job prospects are and what you are likely to do after graduation. It is also important to consider what type of research is most relevant to your interests and what type of skills you will need to succeed in the field.
psiv92
Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice from those who have experience with PhD going into industry. I am currently in the process of deciding on an aerospace engineering program. I have been accepted into a known university and also "accepted" into another lesser known school, I put accepted in quotes as I was not chosen in the schools first round of applications, instead I was contacted by a professor looking for graduate students for research.

I think that the professor's research is very interesting, however I do not think it is something I see myself doing after my PhD. I think most of the things I have read have described that the work that PhD's find is closely related to what they researched throughout their graduate research, is this the case? Would research in one thing make it more difficult to find a job working with something completely different?

I will be visiting both these schools in the next couple weeks to get a better idea of how I fit in. Although with school 2 it seems as if I would be accepting under the pretense that I will be working within that professor's lab.

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
If the prof is offering a research assistantship, then it is worthy of due consideration.

Think of your future employability in terms of the skills you would develop in the process. My first two jobs (and several more job offers) were based on my instrumentation and programming skills and had nothing to do with the area of my research (experimental atomic physics). One job offer was based only on my outstanding performance on a C programming test administered during the job interview! A second job offer was to be an RF test engineer programming in LabView for wireless communication products. I'd never worked in RF, never programmed in LabVIEW, and never worked with wireless networking devices. But they figured (correctly) that with the programming and instrumentation work I had done, I'd be a great bet to figure it all out and excel at the job. They were right. Within 5 years, I'd gotten two promotions and doubled my income with the company.

Likes TJGilb and symbolipoint
It is awesome to hear your transition from the lab to industry! After speaking with the professor I would come in with a TA for the first semester and possible the second since I have not completed my masters, so this would be a similar situation that I would be in at the first school.

psiv92 said:
It is awesome to hear your transition from the lab to industry! After speaking with the professor I would come in with a TA for the first semester and possible the second since I have not completed my masters, so this would be a similar situation that I would be in at the first school.

Nothing wrong with a TA if it keeps the ship afloat and allows your education to proceed without adding debt.

My experience and others I know did not do further research in their doctoral area after being hired by industry. The research they/we conduct in industry seemed to be more applied even when I thought the research in our doctoral area was very applied to begin with. My co-workers go to conferences and see the type of research presented there and tell me the same thing.

1. What is the main difference between PhD research and industry work?

The main difference between PhD research and industry work is the focus and purpose of the work. PhD research is primarily focused on advancing knowledge in a specific area, while industry work is focused on practical application and solving real-world problems. Additionally, PhD research tends to be more theoretical and academic, while industry work is more applied and hands-on.

2. Can a PhD researcher transition to a career in industry?

Yes, a PhD researcher can certainly transition to a career in industry. Many companies value the skills and expertise that PhD researchers bring, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and research experience. However, it may require some additional training or experience to adapt to the different demands of industry work.

3. How can a PhD researcher best prepare for a career in industry?

A PhD researcher can best prepare for a career in industry by gaining relevant skills and experience. This may include internships, industry collaborations, or taking courses outside of their specific research area. It is also important for PhD researchers to network and build relationships with industry professionals to gain insights and potential job opportunities.

4. Is there a demand for PhD researchers in industry?

Yes, there is a demand for PhD researchers in industry. Many industries, such as technology, pharmaceuticals, and finance, value the expertise and knowledge that PhD researchers bring. However, the specific demand may vary depending on the industry and job market at the time.

5. Can a PhD researcher pursue a career in industry while still completing their degree?

Yes, it is possible for a PhD researcher to pursue a career in industry while still completing their degree. However, this may require good time management and communication with their advisor and industry employer. Some universities also offer joint PhD-industry programs that allow students to gain experience in both areas simultaneously.