• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

How to obtain the Sellmeier equation based on a new material?

Problem Statement
I have synthesize a material used in optical transmission. I want to know its transmission constant beta and its higher derivative. So the first step is to use the Sellmeier equation to describe its refractive indices. And I have already tested a series of refractive indices value at different wavelengths. How to get ist Sellmeier equation ?
Relevant Equations
$$n=\sqrt{1+\frac{B_1}{\lambda^2-C_1}+\frac{B_2}{\lambda^2-C_2}+\frac{B_3}{\lambda^2-C_3}}$$
I have synthesize a material used in optical trasmission. I want to know its transmission constant beta and its higher derivative. so the first step is to use sellmeier equation to describe its refractive indices. and i have already test a series of refractive indices value in different wavelengh. how to get ist sellmeier equation ?

actually i cannot find the link you provide.

Charles Link

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
It comes up on my computer.

maybe this link is forbidden in my place, anyway, thank you very much.

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The equation in the link says
$$n^2(\lambda)=1+\frac{B_1\lambda^2}{\lambda^2-C_1}+\frac{B_2\lambda^2}{\lambda^2-C_2}+\frac{B_3\lambda^2}{\lambda^2-C_3}$$