Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to perform multivariable numerical integration?

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    I've got a problem where I need to numerically integrate a multivariable function but I'm not sure how to do this. I'm more than familiar with how to numerically integrate a single variable function numerically but I have no clue how to do this for a multivariable function. For example lets say I have the function

P = (x2 + 4xy)

and I need to integrate this numerically between some definite closed bounds of x, y, and z using the trapezoidal rule. How would one go about doing this? Would I simply perform the integration on each variable and then plug that solution into the respective variable for that function for each integral I evaluate? I have two books on numerical methods and none of them mention anything about doing this. Is it even possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2
    Nevermind, I figured it out. Just had a bit of a stupid moment.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    For the record: with 2 variables, see H. Engels, "Numerical Quadrature and Cubature", Academic, 1980. For many variables, use Monte Carlo integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook