1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to phrase a hypothesis for simulated model on a experiment report?

1. Oct 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm setting up an experiment for a simulation. I'm not sure how to formulate the hypothesis. The model used in the simulation is the first iteration, so I'm just using 2 attributes, 1 independent (A) and 1 dependent (B). As a result, I need to state explicitly that this model is not representative of real life, and just used as step in extending the model. In real life there are many other factors which we could assume are included, but I'm not simulating these yet.

So my question is, how do I state this explicitly (and formally) as part of my hypothesis?

2. Relevant equations

My initial thought is to state the hypothesis as:

If A is increased, then B will increase.​

3. The attempt at a solution
    With assumptions made:

If A is increased, then B will increase, assuming for the purpose of the simulation no other attributes affect B.​

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    ... you just did: say that.
    ... you don't need the assumption - you are simulating the results of an experiment where there is strict control of variables, so only one will be allowed to vary and the other measured.

The description is very abstract though - is there some reason you cannot tell us what you are simulating?

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3
    Thank you, Simon. That's helpful. Glad I was on the right track.

I wanted to keep it general. It has to do with factors affecting human behaviors in a civic context.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted