How to plot and save many data files in GNUPLOT, inside a loop in a SHELL SCRIPT

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to plot and save multiple data files in gnuplot. The speaker is looking for a more efficient way to do this, possibly using loops in a Shell script. They provide an example of how they currently plot and save one file at a time. The response suggests using a loop in a Shell script to automate the process.
alice06
Hi all
I badly need some help...

I plot a file output1.txt in the following way ::

Code:
gnuplot> plot "output1.txt" using 1:2 with lines, \
plot "output1.txt" using 1:3 with lines

BUT now I have many data files,

Code:
output1.txt, output2.txt, output3.txt, ...,... ,output1000.txt

I need to plot each one of them in gnuplot, and save them respectively in

Code:
graph1.jpeg, graph2.jpeg, graph3.jpeg, ..., graph1000.jpeg

It is very cumbersome if I plot and save 1 file at a time.

Is there an easy way, using loops in a Shell script that can PLOT and SAVE them

Please kindly help
Regards
Alice

Technology news on Phys.org
StackOverflow has some very good answers related to this:
https://stackoverflow.com/q/14946530/8387076You can write your code like this:
Gnuplot:
set terminal jpeg
do for [i=0:50] {
  outfile = sprintf('graph%d.jpg',i)
  set output outfile
  plot 'output'.i.'.txt' using 1:2 with lines, 'output'.i.'.txt' using 1:3 with lines
}

1. How do I plot and save multiple data files in GNUPLOT using a shell script?

To plot and save multiple data files in GNUPLOT using a shell script, you can use a loop to iterate through each file and use the GNUPLOT commands to plot and save the data. This allows for automation and efficient processing of large amounts of data.

2. Can I use a loop to plot and save data files in GNUPLOT without a shell script?

Yes, you can use a loop within a GNUPLOT script itself to plot and save multiple data files. However, using a shell script allows for more flexibility and control over the process.

3. How do I specify the output file name in GNUPLOT when plotting and saving multiple data files?

You can use the GNUPLOT command "set output" to specify the output file name. Within the loop, you can use a variable to change the output file name for each data file.

4. Can I customize the plot and save settings for each data file in GNUPLOT?

Yes, you can use the GNUPLOT commands to customize the plot settings for each data file within the loop. This allows for individualized plots for each data file.

5. How do I save the plots in different file formats in GNUPLOT using a shell script?

You can use the GNUPLOT command "set terminal" to specify the output file format, such as png, pdf, or jpeg. Within the loop, you can use a variable to change the output file format for each data file.