How to plot timestamps within a row?

Main Question or Discussion Point

i have a dataset that has the timestamp data within each row and I am trying to plot the values to see the distribution but have no idea how to do it if the data is presented this way as attached. any ideas? thanks

Attachments

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
are you not able to strip off the seconds and milliseconds? Seems like this should be trivially easy. What language are you using?

What language are you using?
Several other threads by the OP show Python code.

Read it into a spreadsheet. Most spreadsheets include many ways to read or display time. The spreadsheet can also make the plots for you.

sorry, i thought the tag would show python and yes it is in python. but these timestamps are within the row itself and i have several hundred rows with this data inside each. i thought of doing it in python so that i can read the file and plot a chart for each.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
sorry, i thought the tag would show python and yes it is in python. but these timestamps are within the row itself and i have several hundred rows with this data inside each. i thought of doing it in python so that i can read the file and plot a chart for each.
Then I ask again, can you not just strip off the seconds and milliseconds? I don't know Python but in C and VB.NET this is easy and doing your own plot would be reasonably easy.

awk would be the easiest thing to use if you're on linux.
Code:
awk '{print $2}' input filename_goes_here >outputfilename_goes_here
Awk processes each line and prints out only the second column and from there you can plot the data