How to plot timeseries data in Python

In summary, the conversation is about using the pandas library to plot lines for each type in a dataframe. The issue is with the format of the data, specifically the feat column type being in series form. The OP is looking for ideas on how to solve this problem.
msn009
I have a dataframe that looks as attached. What I aiming to do is to plot the lines for each type where if it is for type A, I want to be able to have two lines in the graph that shows the trend for type A. I was not able to find any examples online especially with the format of the data in this way. The feat column type is in series form. any ideas will be much appreciated. thanks.

Attachments

• sample_data.xlsx
    9.4 KB · Views: 238
Technology news on Phys.org
For those who have not been following the many similar posts, note that the OP is using the pandas library and his problem seems to revolve around getting the data into the format pandas requires.

1. How do I import time series data into Python?

There are several methods for importing time series data into Python. One way is to use the pandas library, which has a built-in function called read_csv() that can read in CSV files containing time series data. Another option is to use the numpy library and its loadtxt() function to read in data from a text file. You can also use the csv library and its reader() function to read in data from a CSV file.

2. How do I plot time series data in Python?

To plot time series data in Python, you can use the matplotlib library, which has a function called plot() that can be used to create a basic line plot of your data. You can also use the seaborn library, which has functions for creating more advanced and visually appealing plots. Additionally, the pandas library also has built-in plotting functions specifically for time series data.

3. How can I customize the appearance of my time series plot?

There are many ways to customize the appearance of your time series plot in Python. You can change the color, style, and size of the plot by using the appropriate parameters in the plot() function. You can also add labels, titles, and legends to your plot using the xlabel(), ylabel(), title(), and legend() functions. Additionally, you can adjust the size and layout of your plot using the figure() and subplots() functions.

4. How do I add multiple time series to one plot in Python?

To add multiple time series to one plot in Python, you can use the plot() function multiple times, each with a different set of data. You can also use the subplot() function to create multiple subplots within one figure, each with its own time series data. Another option is to use the ax.plot() syntax, which allows you to specify the axes on which you want to plot your data.

5. How do I save my time series plot as an image file?

To save your time series plot as an image file in Python, you can use the savefig() function from the matplotlib library. This function allows you to specify the file format, size, and resolution of the saved image. You can also use the pandas library's to_csv() function to save your time series data as a CSV file, which can then be opened and plotted in other software or languages.