How to prepare 50mM Na2HPO4/H3PO4 buffer, pH 4.5

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Natsu1993
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
The have to prepare the buffer but I really don't know how. Is the any formula for the buffer preparation?

Ps. Sorry but one more thing, what does the "/" between Na2HPO4 and H3PO4 mean?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
/ means buffer containing both Na2HPO4 and H3PO4.

I strongly suggest you start by reading about buffer solutions, for example here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_solution (but there are plenty of other resources on the web).

For pH 4.5 this is a very bad buffer choice.

Sorry to say that, but from the way you asked the question it is clear you are not qualified for the task.
 
So, I have to prepare H3PO4 and then add NaOH?

H3PO4 + 2NaOH ---> Na2HPO4 + 2H2O

Am I correct?
 
This is one of ways of doing it. You can as well mix the acid and the salt solution.