How to prepare toluene solution?

• Thread starter FaNgS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prepare
In summary, the conversation is about preparing a solution of toluene in water at a concentration of 100ppm. The specifications indicate that the toluene is 99.5% pure and has a density of 0.8669 g/mL. The molecular weight is also mentioned as 92.14 g/mol. One person suggests serial dilution, but it is noted that this may be difficult with liquid toluene and that a micropipette should be used to accurately measure the volume needed. The 99.5% purity may not have a significant impact on the final concentration.
FaNgS
It's been a while since I last worked in the lab and I have forgotten some of the techniques in preparing solutions, especially when dealing with liquid solutes.

I'm trying to make solution of toluene of low concentrations in the ppm levels. The specifications as shown here: http://pub.panreac.com/ds/161745IN.HTM mention that it's 99.5% pure. I would assume that this is volume per volume or mL/100mL basis since it is a liquid reagent.

If I want to make a 100ppm (100mg/L) toluene solution how should I proceed?

Density of Toluene: 0.8669 g/mL
Molecular Weight: 92.14 g/mol

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I guess if you can't accurately measure 200 mgs for your 1 L solution you could just serial dilute something slightly heavier, say 2 g in 100 mL, take 10 mL of that, dilute with with 990 mL of solvent etc..?

But I'm working with liquid toluene, so using a balance to measure mass would be bring inaccuracy to the measurement. Also how would I take into account the 99.5% spec given?

How accurate do you want your concentration?

Serial dilution won't be easy, you can't prepare concentrated solution of toluene (I am assuming you need it in water).

Best approach is to measure a volume with a micropipette. Volume/mass/density thing.

Yes, I want to dilute it in water. I don't require very high accuracy but I would like to get a proper solution for my experimental study (adsorption).

Can you please elaborate further on "micropipette, volume/mass/density" ?

FaNgS said:
Yes, I want to dilute it in water. I don't require very high accuracy but I would like to get a proper solution for my experimental study (adsorption).

So 99.5% doesn't matter - at worst your solution will be 99.5 ppm instead of 100 ppm.

Can you please elaborate further on "micropipette, volume/mass/density" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_displacement_pipette

Use density and mass to find volume of the liquid you need.

1. What is toluene solution and why is it used in scientific experiments?

Toluene solution is a clear, colorless liquid that is commonly used in scientific experiments as a solvent. It is a highly versatile chemical that can dissolve a wide range of substances, making it useful for various applications in chemistry, biology, and other fields of science.

2. How do I prepare a toluene solution?

To prepare a toluene solution, you will need to measure out the appropriate amount of toluene and add it to a clean, dry container. Then, slowly add the desired amount of the substance you want to dissolve into the toluene while stirring continuously. Once the substance is fully dissolved, the toluene solution is ready for use.

3. What concentration should I use for my toluene solution?

The concentration of your toluene solution will depend on the specific experiment or application you are using it for. In general, a concentration of 10-20% toluene is commonly used for dissolving solids, while a concentration of 50-60% is used for dissolving oils or other non-polar substances.

4. How should I handle and store toluene solution?

Toluene is a flammable chemical, so it should be handled with caution and stored in a cool, well-ventilated area away from sources of ignition. When working with toluene solution, it is important to wear proper protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, to avoid skin contact and inhalation. Additionally, toluene solution should be kept in a tightly sealed container to prevent evaporation.

5. Can I dispose of toluene solution down the drain?

No, toluene solution should not be disposed of down the drain. It is a hazardous chemical and should be disposed of properly according to local regulations. This may include contacting a hazardous waste disposal company or bringing it to a designated collection site for proper disposal.