How to prevent cursor from jumping to different places?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the cursor jumping to different places while typing, specifically in the middle of paragraphs or to the address line. The problem seems to be caused by accidentally hitting the touchpad or track point, and the solution is to disable these functions through the control panel or by installing a touchpad driver. The individual experiencing the issue also mentions trying to disable the touchpad through the device manager, but it only disables the real mouse and not the touchpad.
yungman
Hi

I have been having problem of the cursor jumping to different place in the middle of typing. It jump to middle of the paragraph and start typing and I have to do ctrl-Z to delete the wrong letters and use the mouse to bring the cursor back. It is happening across a few laptops I have.

I am sure I did not hit anything accidentally, it just happens.

More predictable is when I write an email, at the beginning, it always jump to the address line and start typing. It is very inconvenient doing that all the time. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I had that problem several years ago on a laptop and it turned out that I had inadvertently turned on the touch pad and my thumb was hitting it as I typed and moving the cursor, but mine seemed more random than what you are describing.

phinds said:
I had that problem several years ago on a laptop and it turned out that I had inadvertently turned on the touch pad and my thumb was hitting it as I typed and moving the cursor, but mine seemed more random than what you are describing.
Thanks for the reply, how do you turn off the touch pad? I did not see in the control panel. Mine is always on.

yungman said:
Thanks for the reply, how do you turn off the touch pad? I did not see in the control panel. Mine is always on.
Usually there's a spot on the pad itself or directly above it. Mine's above the pad, my wife's is on the pad in the upper left I think it is. Look up your computer model on line for the manual if all else fails.

If you have a track point i.e. A little red button in the middle of the keyboard for mouse control then this might be the problem as it moves the cursor to the mouse pointer when pressed. It can be disabled via the system mouse settings panel.

It would happen to me when I'd type a g or an h and would touch the track point button too and magically the cursor would move to where the mouse was. Very very frustrating.

Thanks for the reply, I have no red button in the middle of the keyboard, I know about that button can move pointer, I don't have it in all my laptops.

I have no buttom around the mouse pad. I looked in control panel, mouse, nothing there. I went to device manager, Mice and Other pointing devices, I disable the HID compliant mouse, it disable the real mouse, I had to use the mouse pad to enable it again! I went on web to look and no luck so far.

yungman said:
Thanks for the reply, I have no red button in the middle of the keyboard, I know about that button can move pointer, I don't have it in all my laptops.

I have no buttom around the mouse pad. I looked in control panel, mouse, nothing there. I went to device manager, Mice and Other pointing devices, I disable the HID compliant mouse, it disable the real mouse, I had to use the mouse pad to enable it again! I went on web to look and no luck so far.
This was something my mom was complaining about a few months ago, it should be a simple fix by disabling the touchpad. Sounds like you need to install the touchpad driver from the laptop manufacturer to control its functions with the mouse tool in the Control Panel.

1. Why does my cursor keep jumping to different places while I type?

The most common reason for this is due to a sensitivity issue with your touchpad or mouse. It could also be caused by a dirty or damaged touchpad, or a software issue.

2. How can I adjust the sensitivity of my touchpad to prevent cursor jumping?

You can adjust the sensitivity of your touchpad by going to your computer's settings and finding the touchpad/mouse section. From there, you can adjust the sensitivity or disable the touchpad while typing.

3. Is there a way to physically clean my touchpad to prevent cursor jumping?

Yes, you can use a microfiber cloth or a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol to gently clean the surface of your touchpad. Be sure to power off your device before cleaning and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials.

4. How can I tell if my touchpad is damaged and causing the cursor to jump?

If your touchpad is visibly damaged or does not respond to touch properly, it may need to be replaced. You can also try connecting an external mouse to see if the cursor jumping issue persists.

5. What should I do if adjusting the touchpad settings and cleaning it does not solve the cursor jumping issue?

If the problem persists, it could be a software issue. Try updating your computer's drivers or performing a system update. If the issue still occurs, you may need to seek technical support or bring your device to a professional for further assistance.