How to start with proving ##a^a + b^b > a^b + b^a##?

• I
  • Thread starter MevsEinstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequalites
In summary: So the area under the graph between Ln(a) and Ln(b) is greater than the area under the graph between Ln(a) and Ln(a) again, which is the same as the area under the graph between Ln(a) and Ln(a) itself. In summary, the area under the graph of y = e^x is greater between the points Ln(a) and Ln(b) than between Ln(a) and Ln(a) again, so a^b +b^a < a^a + b^b.
MevsEinstein
TL;DR Summary
what the title says
When I learned about Catalan's conjecture, I morphed the expression ##3^2-2^3## to ##a^b+b^a##. Then, out of curiosity, I compared ##a^b+b^a## to ##a^a+b^b##. I have tried many numbers (greater that or equal to 1) for both ##a## and ##b##, noticing that ##a^a+b^b## is bigger than ##a^b+b^a##. I don't know how I am going to prove this since it contains unknown powers and a greater sign. What path should I consider taking to prove this inequality?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty skeptical that you can prove Catalan's conjecture with this, but let's assume ##a>b\geq 1##, and let's let ##x > y \geq 0##. We will prove##a^x + b^y \geq a^y+b^x##. Your use case is ##x=a## and ##y=b##.

##a^x+b^y=a^ya^{x-y}+b^y## and ##a^y+b^z= a^y+b^y b^{x-y}##. Both of these expressions are ##a^y+b^y## where we multiply one of the summands by some quantity. Since the summands are at least one and the multipliers are at least one, it is hopefully intuitive that if we multiply the larger summand by a larger number, the thing we get is larger overall. ##a^y>b^y## and ##a^{x-y}>b^{x-y}##, so that completes the intuitive proof.If you want to throw more algebra at it, we need to compute exactly how much larger than ##a^y+b^y## each side is
##a^ya^{x-y}+b^y = a^y(a^{x-y}-1+1)+b^y##
##=a^y(a^{x-y}-1)+a^y +b^y##

Similarly ##a^y+b^x= a^y+b^y+ b^y(b^{x-y}-1)##.

So all we have to do is prove ##a^y(a^{x-y}-1) \geq b^y(b^{x-y}-1)##. Note each side is multiplying two non negative numbers, so it suffices to prove each piece of the multiplication is larger. Since ##a>b##, ##y\geq 0## and ##x-y\geq 0##, we get ##a^y>b^y##, and ##a^{x-y} \geq b^{x-y}##. Subtracting one from the last inequality completes the proof.

Likes PeroK
Office_Shredder said:
I'm pretty skeptical that you can prove Catalan's conjecture with this
I wasn't actually trying to prove it I was just playing around. Thanks for your proof by the way!

Likes Hornbein
I noticed the question before noticing the nice answers, so already had this alternative answer:

a^b +b^a < a^a + b^b is equivalent to a^b - a^a < b^b - b^a. By the fundamental theorem of calculus, the left side is the area under the graph of y = e^x, between the points a.Ln(a) and b.Ln(a) an interval of length Ln(a).(b-a).

Similarly the right side is the area under the same graph between the points a.Ln(b) and b.Ln(b) an interval of length Ln(b).(b-a).

Assuming 0 < a < b, the second interval begins further to the right, and is also longer than the first interval,
so the amount of area is greater for the second interval. This holds for any increasing graph.

In this case, moving an interval to the right by an amount t>0, and keeping it the same length, increases the area by a factor of e^t > 1. and then making the interval also longer by moving the right endpoint further to the right increases the area more.

1. What is the first step in proving ##a^a + b^b > a^b + b^a##?

The first step in proving this inequality is to rewrite it in a more manageable form. We can rewrite the equation as ##a^a - a^b > b^a - b^b##. This allows us to focus on one side of the equation at a time and simplifies the problem.

2. How do I approach proving this inequality?

The best approach for proving this inequality is to use mathematical induction. This method involves proving the statement for a base case, typically when a and b are equal to 1, and then showing that if the statement holds for any given values of a and b, it also holds for their successors (a+1, b+1).

3. Can I use algebraic manipulation to prove this inequality?

Yes, algebraic manipulation is a valid method for proving this inequality. You can use properties of exponents, such as the power rule and the product rule, to manipulate the equation and simplify it into a more manageable form.

4. Is there a specific strategy I should use when proving this inequality?

Yes, one strategy that can be helpful is to assume the opposite of the statement and try to derive a contradiction. This is known as a proof by contradiction and can be a powerful tool in proving mathematical statements.

5. Are there any other tips or tricks for proving this inequality?

Another useful tip is to try breaking down the problem into smaller parts. For example, you can try proving the inequality for specific values of a and b, and then try to generalize your proof for all values. Also, don't be afraid to use visual aids, such as graphs or diagrams, to help you understand the problem and come up with a proof.