How to Prove Definite Integral of Sin(nx) * Cos(mx) = 0?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter uman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Apostol Book
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
uman
Messages
348
Reaction score
1
Hello all,

In exercise 31, page 106 of Calculus by Tom Apostol (volume 1), the reader is asked to prove that the definite integral from zero to 2*pi of sin(nx) * cos(mx) = 0 (where n and m are arbitrary integers). The book hints that the reader should use the fact that the definite integral from 0 to 2*pi of sin(nx) equals zero (and that the same is true of cos(nx)). I haven't been able to get anywhere on this problem, except using the addition formula for sine to prove that sin(nx)cos(mx) = cos(nx)sin(mx). Any help, anyone?

I'm sure the proof is very simple, but I just can't seem to find it...

Sorry for spelling everything out in words. I have no idea how to use TeX.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know

[tex]\sin nx \cos mx = \cos nx \sin mx\,,[/tex]

then what is

[tex]\sin nx \cos mx + \cos nx \sin mx\;?[/tex]
 
sorry my original post had an error.

I meant to say that I had proven that sin nx * cos mx = -cos mx * sin nx
 
Wow I just figured out how to prove it about two minutes after I posted that

Thanks though.

It was as simple as I thought it would be :-)
 
uman said:
sorry my original post had an error.

I meant to say that I had proven that sin nx * cos mx = -cos mx * sin nx

maybe you mean the integral of the left side equals the integral of the right side because what you have written there isn't true.
 
That's what I meant.

Two errors, at least. Argh. I think if I could use real notation on this site I wouldn't have done that. time to learn how to use latex...