Sin/cos integrals multiplying results (fourier transform).

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Euler's relation and sine/cosine multiplication integral results in determining the Fourier transform of cos (2\pix)=f(x), and the extension of these results to infinity.
binbagsss
Okay, I am trying to determine the Fourier transform of cos (2[itex]\pi[/itex]x)=f(x)

Where F(k)=[itex]^{\infty}_{\infty}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]f(x)exp[itex]^{-ikx}[/itex] dx,

So I use eulers relation to express the exponential term in terms of cos and sin, and then I want to use sin/cos multiplication integral results, such as:

[itex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] cos(nx)cos(mx) dx =[itex]\pi[/itex] if m=n≠0
= 2[itex]\pi[/itex] if m=n=0
=0 if m≠n

- But these are only defined for limits [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex].
So my question is , what are these results for [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex].

Is there a obvious natural extension?

Many thanks for any assistance !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
Okay, I am trying to determine the Fourier transform of cos (2[itex]\pi[/itex]x)=f(x)

Where F(k)=[itex]^{\infty}_{\infty}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]f(x)exp[itex]^{-ikx}[/itex] dx,

So I use eulers relation to express the exponential term in terms of cos and sin, and then I want to use sin/cos multiplication integral results, such as:

[itex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] cos(nx)cos(mx) dx =[itex]\pi[/itex] if m=n≠0
= 2[itex]\pi[/itex] if m=n=0
=0 if m≠n

- But these are only defined for limits [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex].
So my question is , what are these results for [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex].

Is there a obvious natural extension?

Many thanks for any assistance !

One of the requirements for a Fourier transform of a function ##f## to exist is$$
\int_{-\infty}^\infty |f(x)|~dx$$converge. Sines and cosines don't satisfy that. Apparently there is some sense in which it can be expressed with delta functions.

What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in signal processing and represents a function in terms of sine and cosine waves.

What is the relationship between sin/cos integrals and the Fourier transform?

Sin/cos integrals are used in the calculation of the Fourier transform. The Fourier transform is essentially the integral of a function multiplied by a sine or cosine wave, which allows the function to be represented in terms of its frequency components.

Why are sin/cos integrals multiplied in the Fourier transform?

The multiplication of sin/cos integrals in the Fourier transform is necessary in order to decompose a function into its individual frequency components. This allows for a more efficient representation of the function and is useful in many applications, such as filtering and signal analysis.

What is the purpose of using the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a powerful tool in mathematics and science, used to analyze and represent functions in terms of their frequency components. It is particularly useful in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

Are there any limitations to using sin/cos integrals in the Fourier transform?

While the Fourier transform is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it assumes the function being analyzed is periodic, meaning it repeats itself infinitely. Additionally, the Fourier transform is not always easy to calculate, especially for complex functions.