1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove differentiable everywhere?

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See photo, part b and c

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part b
    It seems it is trival, in part a we have proved that [itex]f_{x}[/itex] and [itex]f_{y}[/itex] exist. Obviously, they are differentiable for x and y[itex]\neq[/itex]0

For part c.
    It seems there are 2 method to do it.
    1. Use first principle.(i.e. take limit)
    2.Find [itex]f_{xy}[/itex] and [itex]f_{yx}[/itex]
    If they equal each other, then f is differentiable at(0,0)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What limit are you talking about? "Differentiability" of a function of two variables is NOT defined by a limit. You might want to look up the definition of "differentiable" for functions of more than one variable.

No, that's not true. There is a theorem that says "If a function is differentiable, on a region, then its mixed second derivatives are equal on that region", but the converse of that statement is not true.

4. Sep 30, 2011 #3
    How about part b?
    You only talk about part c

5. Sep 30, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, (b) is trivial- f is a quotient of two polynomials and the denominator is not 0 for any point other than (0, 0).

6. Oct 2, 2011 #5
    But I saw from wiki that it is.
    If not, how do I prove differentiable?

cb2be0dc4607423c38120e364c9d4a65.png

7. Oct 2, 2011 #6
    I also wonder if [itex]f_{x}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{(2^xy^3-6x^2y^2-2x^4)}{(y^4+2x^2y^2+x^4)}[/itex] exist at (0,0).

If not, it seems the question part a has some problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook