How to Prove Fibonacci Squared Recurrence Relation

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the recurrence relation for the Fibonacci squared sequence and using proof by induction to prove its validity. The conversation ended with the conclusion that the recurrence relation is F^{2}_{n}=2F^{2}_{n-1} + 2F^{2}_{n-2} - F^{2}_{n-3} and that it holds for all natural numbers.
alec_tronn

Homework Statement

We were asked in a class discussion if we could try to figure out the recurrence relation of the Fibonacci squared sequence. I correctly figured that the equation was
F[tex]^{2}_{n}[/tex]=2F[tex]^{2}_{n-1}[/tex] + 2F[tex]^{2}_{n-2}[/tex] - F[tex]^{2}_{n-3}[/tex]

with F[tex]^{2}_{1}[/tex] = 0 and F[tex]^{2}_{2}[/tex] = 1 and F[tex]^{2}_{3}[/tex] = 1.

Now, our class homework is to prove it.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first instinct is proof by induction. So I start with:

Test the hypothesis with n=4 (since n=1,2,3 are given by definition).
F[tex]^{2}_{4}[/tex] = 2F[tex]^{2}_{3}[/tex] + 2F[tex]^{2}_{2}[/tex] - F[tex]^{2}_{1}[/tex]
= 2 + 2 - 0
= 4, which agrees with original definition(because F[tex]^{1}_{4}[/tex] = 2, and thus F[tex]^{2}_{4}[/tex] = 4).

So, the formula holds for some arbitrary but fixed n (n being a member of the natural numbers).

Test n+1.
F[tex]^{2}_{n+1}[/tex] = (F[tex]^{1}_{n}[/tex] + F[tex]^{1}_{n-1}[/tex])^{2} (by definition. of Fib. Sequence)

=F[tex]^{2}_{n}[/tex] + 2 F[tex]^{1}_{n}[/tex] * F[tex]^{1}_{n-1}[/tex] + F[tex]^{2}_{n-1}[/tex] (by distribution)

= 2F[tex]^{2}_{n-1}[/tex] + 2F[tex]^{2}_{n-2}[/tex] - F[tex]^{2}_{n-3}[/tex] + 2 F[tex]^{1}_{n}[/tex] * F[tex]^{1}_{n-1}[/tex] + 2F[tex]^{2}_{n-2}[/tex] + 2F[tex]^{2}_{n-3}[/tex] - F[tex]^{2}_{n-4}[/tex] (by the induction hypothesis)

= 2F[tex]^{1}_{n-1}[/tex] * (F[tex]^{1}_{n}[/tex] + F[tex]^{1}_{n-1}[/tex]) + 4F[tex]^{2}_{n-2}[/tex] + F[tex]^{2}_{n-3}[/tex] - F[tex]^{2}_{n-4}[/tex]

=2F[tex]^{1}_{n-1}[/tex] * F[tex]^{1}_{n+1}[/tex] + 4F[tex]^{2}_{n-2}[/tex] + F[tex]^{2}_{n-3}[/tex] - F[tex]^{2}_{n-4}[/tex]

That's where I'm stuck. I know (or think I know) that I'm supposed to end up with :
F[tex]^{2}_{n+1}[/tex] = 2F[tex]^{2}_{n}[/tex] + 2F[tex]^{2}_{n-1}[/tex] - F[tex]^{2}_{n-2}[/tex] and so for every n for which the formula is valid, the formula is also valid for n+1. By induction, the formula works for all of the natural numbers.

Could anyone help me figure out the part I'm stuck at?

Physics news on Phys.org
F2n + 2(Fn)(Fn-1) + F2n-1
F2n + 2(Fn)(Fn - fn-2) + F2n-1
F2n +(2F2n) -(2fn-2*fn) + F2n-1
Use the induction hypothesis on the lone F2n
2F2n + (2F2n-1) + (2F2n-2) - (F2n-3) - 2(Fn*Fn-2) + F2n-1

Notice that the first two terms are the first two terms we are looking for. I'm going to leave those off and manipulate the last 4 terms into -Fn-2. The number of steps I used can probably be reduced under scrutiny, but I just did a rough sketch of this.

F2n-1 + 2F2n-2 - F2n-3 - 2( Fn-1 + Fn-2)*(Fn-2)
Notice that F2n-2 cancels after expanding the last term.
F2n-1 - 2Fn-1*Fn-2 - F2n-3
Write Fn-1 in the middle term as Fn-2 + Fn-3 then expand.

F2n-1 -2F2n-2 - 2Fn-2Fn-3 - F2n-3
Now write the first term as (Fn-2 + Fn-3)^2 and expand.
F2n-2 + 2Fn-2*Fn-3 +f2n-3 -2F2n-2 - 2Fn-2Fn-3 - F2n-3
Combining and canceling leaves just the term we are looking for -Fn-2
Combining that with the terms we dropped earlier gives us:
2F2n+ 2F2n-1 - F2n-2. QED

Sorry for being really messy, but I really didn't want to use a lot of energy typing this out.

1. What is the Fibonacci squared recurrence relation?

The Fibonacci squared recurrence relation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between consecutive terms in the Fibonacci sequence, where each term is the sum of the two previous terms squared. This can be written as Fn = (Fn-1)2 + (Fn-2)2.

2. How is the Fibonacci squared recurrence relation derived?

The Fibonacci squared recurrence relation can be derived using various methods, such as using the Binet's formula for the Fibonacci sequence or using a generating function approach. Essentially, it involves finding a pattern in the squared terms of the Fibonacci sequence and using it to form a recurrence relation.

3. What is the significance of the Fibonacci squared recurrence relation?

The Fibonacci squared recurrence relation has several applications in mathematics, such as in combinatorics, number theory, and fractals. It also helps in understanding the properties of the Fibonacci sequence and can be used to solve problems related to it.

4. How can the Fibonacci squared recurrence relation be proved?

The Fibonacci squared recurrence relation can be proved using mathematical induction, which involves showing that the formula holds true for the first few terms of the sequence and then proving that it also holds for the (n+1)th term based on the assumption that it holds for the first n terms.

5. Is the Fibonacci squared recurrence relation the only way to generate the Fibonacci sequence?

No, the Fibonacci squared recurrence relation is not the only way to generate the Fibonacci sequence. Other methods include using a matrix representation, using a closed form formula, and using a binomial coefficient formula. However, the Fibonacci squared recurrence relation is a unique and interesting way to generate the sequence and has its own set of applications and properties.