1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove partial derivatives exist

1. Apr 3, 2008 #1
    I am really struggling with this h/w problem...especially the 1st part.

Problem Statement:

Consider the function f defined by f(x1,x2,x3)=cos(x1+x2)+exp(sin(x1*x2*x3)+cos(x1[tex]^{2}[/tex]+x3[tex]^{2}[/tex])).

Show that the partial derivatives exist and are continuous everywhere.

Solution

1- I can find fx1(x1, x2, x3), fx2(x1, x2, x3) and fx3[/tex] (x1, x2, x3)

Does this mean that partial derivatives exist ?

Alternatively do I have to use the definition of partial derivatives as follows

lim (h->0) ( f(x1+ah, x2+bh, x3+ch) - f(x1, x2, x3) ) / h. If I do this, there is no way I can evaluate the function as given above.

Plz advise how to proceed?

2- To prove that it is continuous

cos(x1+x2) = cos(x1)cos(x2) - sin(x1)sin(x2). Sin and Cos are continuous functions. product of continuous functions is also continuous.

For other parts repeat same logic. Basically sum of continuous functions is also continuous.

Is this right approach.

Thansk

Asif

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the right approach. Once you've learned to differentiate a function you don't need to go back to the difference quotient. And yes, once everything in sight is continuous and has no singularities for x1,x2 and x3 you can say the whole thing is continuous. No need to mess around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?