How to prove V=-(GM)/r without applying calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential formula in gravitational physics and the possibility of evaluating it without the use of calculus. However, the speakers agree that the concept of potential is closely linked to calculus and cannot be derived or proved without it. They suggest that the best way to understand and use calculus is to learn about it and practice with it. Alternative methods, such as using CAD software, can also be utilized to find differentials and integrals.
Nousher Ahmed
In my textbook, gravitational potential , V=-(GM)/r, has been evaluated by applying calculas. I want to evaluate it with another simple way except calculas. I want to learn the simplest way to evaluate it in such a way that even a boy of 12 years old can understand it without facing any difficulty.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not even sure if that's possible. The fact that the potential exists is a direct consequence of a result in multivariable calculus, and the process of going from potential to field requires taking a derivative, and the reverse process requires integration. I mean, you can introduce the potential without calculus, but I'm not sure you can derive or prove it without calculus. The intuition for it can only be gained, I think, from the calculus.

If there is such a technique, I am not aware of it either.

Nousher Ahmed said:
I want to evaluate it with another simple way except calculas.
Why? A Calculus was invented by Newton and Leibnitz and others because there were not ways of doing it 'simply'. If you have a problem with calculus then the best way to deal with that is to learn about it and get to love it. You cannot do without it.

If you have computer aided drafting (CAD) software, a differential can be found by measuring the slope of a curve, and an integral by measuring the area under a curve.

1. How can you prove V=-(GM)/r without using calculus?

One way to prove V=-(GM)/r without using calculus is by using the definition of potential energy, which states that the potential energy of an object is equal to the negative of the work done by an external force in bringing the object from infinity to its current position. By considering the gravitational force between two objects at different distances, the potential energy can be calculated and shown to be equal to -(GM)/r.

2. What other mathematical methods can be used to prove V=-(GM)/r?

Aside from using the definition of potential energy, other mathematical methods that can be used to prove V=-(GM)/r include using the inverse square law for gravitational force, using the concept of conservative forces, and using the concept of equipotential surfaces.

3. Can you explain how the concept of conservative forces is related to proving V=-(GM)/r?

The concept of conservative forces is related to proving V=-(GM)/r because gravitational force is a conservative force, meaning that the work done by the force is independent of the path taken. This allows us to calculate the potential energy at any point in space without needing to know the exact path of the object.

4. Is it possible to prove V=-(GM)/r without any mathematical calculations?

No, it is not possible to prove V=-(GM)/r without any mathematical calculations. The concept of potential energy and gravitational force are mathematical concepts that require calculations to prove their relationship. However, the proof can be simplified and shown visually through diagrams and illustrations.

5. How does proving V=-(GM)/r without using calculus benefit our understanding of the concept?

Proving V=-(GM)/r without using calculus can benefit our understanding of the concept by providing a more intuitive and visual approach. It allows us to understand the relationship between distance and potential energy without needing to know complex mathematical calculations. Additionally, it can also help us understand the limitations and assumptions of the equation.