1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove V=-(GM)/r without applying calculus?

1. Jan 22, 2016 #1
    In my text book, gravitational potential , V=-(GM)/r, has been evaluated by applying calculas. I want to evaluate it with another simple way except calculas. I want to learn the simplest way to evaluate it in such a way that even a boy of 12 years old can understand it without facing any difficulty.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2016 #2
    I'm not even sure if that's possible. The fact that the potential exists is a direct consequence of a result in multivariable calculus, and the process of going from potential to field requires taking a derivative, and the reverse process requires integration. I mean, you can introduce the potential without calculus, but I'm not sure you can derive or prove it without calculus. The intuition for it can only be gained, I think, from the calculus.

4. Jan 23, 2016 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

If there is such a technique, I am not aware of it either.

5. Jan 23, 2016 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why? A Calculus was invented by Newton and Leibnitz and others because there were not ways of doing it 'simply'. If you have a problem with calculus then the best way to deal with that is to learn about it and get to love it. You cannot do without it.

6. Jan 23, 2016 #5

David Lewis

Gold Member

If you have computer aided drafting (CAD) software, a differential can be found by measuring the slope of a curve, and an integral by measuring the area under a curve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook