How to reach 2,000 Fº at home?

  • Thread starter Thread starter eduardojgg91
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Home
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
eduardojgg91
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hello everybody.

I wonder how can I reach 2,000 Fº at home, the fuel. The thing is I want to shape, and form some metal pieces. But I first need to reach 2k Fº to start shaping the metal. It is a bit thick so I can't work it in cold.

I want to work with Blacksmithing here at my backyard. I just don't know what materials I need to start with. I don't know nothing about this.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
2000º F is about 1300 K, which corresponds to a slightly orangish red color. I would guess that you could use charcoal or wood or anything else that would produce coals and that the more important thing will be to have some bellows or other system for adding oxygen to the coals. Of course, that is a completely uninformed guess so take it for what it is worth which probably isn't very much.
 
The best way to learn about blacksmithing is to find another person who already knows how to do it. You should find someone in person, rather than online, so they can show you what is involved.

A skill like blacksmithing would be extremely difficult, and potentially dangerous, to try learning over the internet.

If you google "blacksmith" and your state/province/city, you might find a local organization that you could contact. Something along the lines of this:
http://njba.abana-chapter.com/

Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your budget. I just did a little random digging and found a few torches here: http://www.bernzomatic.com/quickfire-hand-torch/quickfire-faqs.aspx. These cost about $70 per pop, but it says they go to 3600 deg F. You could get 2 of these guys, and an outdoor wood stove, drill a few holes in the stove and then point these guys into the chamber. Set up a ventilation flow top to bottom and you've probably got a nice little smelting chamber going.
 
Last edited by a moderator: