How to recharge a 12V battery using an Alternator

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of a 12v battery in a rural project and the need to recharge it while in use. The options of using an alternator or a capacitor are discussed, with the suggestion that a gas generator may be a more suitable solution. A potential method of connecting the alternator to the battery is also mentioned, along with questions about the power source, size of the battery, and required supply. The importance of proper calculations is emphasized in engineering projects.
Oladapo Babatunde
I am working on a rural project that requires continuous use of 12v battery as a single unit,to keep the project running i need to recharge the battery . How do i connect an alternator to recharge the battery while the batteries is in use. or can i use a Capacitor instead.
My thinking is since car battery are recharged in Car by alternator. or do anyone has a method to recharge 12v batteries

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oladapo Babatunde said:
I am working on a rural project that requires continuous use of 12v battery as a single unit,to keep the project running i need to recharge the battery . How do i connect an alternator to recharge the battery while the batteries is in use. or can i use a Capacitor instead.
My thinking is since car battery are recharged in Car by alternator. or do anyone has a method to recharge 12v batteries
Alternator body to battery negative.
Big B+ terminal to battery positive.
W terminal via 12V bulb to battery positive.

A picture of the alt would help.

Likes davenn
What is the source of motive power for your alternator?
How big is the battery?
Most important, what is the requirement for the supply you are providing? Electricity is like money; you need an income that's at least as big as your spending and you need a float of spare cash for a rainy day. Engineering is a very unforgiving business so you have to do the sums - really!

Likes anorlunda and davenn

1. How does an alternator charge a 12V battery?

An alternator uses the rotation of the engine to generate electricity, which is then converted into direct current (DC) and sent to the battery. This process is controlled by the voltage regulator, which ensures that the battery is not overcharged.

2. What is the recommended method for recharging a 12V battery using an alternator?

The recommended method is to connect the positive terminal of the battery to the positive terminal of the alternator and the negative terminal of the battery to the engine block. This allows for a direct flow of current from the alternator to the battery.

3. What is the maximum charging rate for a 12V battery using an alternator?

The maximum charging rate for a 12V battery is typically around 14.4 volts. This ensures that the battery is charged to its optimal level without being overcharged, which can damage the battery.

4. How long does it take to fully recharge a 12V battery using an alternator?

The time it takes to fully recharge a 12V battery using an alternator depends on the charge level of the battery and the output of the alternator. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-3 hours to fully recharge a depleted 12V battery.

5. Can I use an alternator to recharge a 12V battery while the engine is off?

No, the alternator requires the engine to be running in order to generate electricity and charge the battery. Attempting to charge the battery with the engine off may drain the battery further and potentially damage the alternator.