1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to relate force to the z-axis

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im having trouble understanding parts about the z-axis for my statics class. You know how Fx=FcosΘ and Fy=FsinΘ. How do you express force in the z direction? And also if I have a right triangle with a leg of 24 units and a leg of 7 units and a hypotenuse of 25. I see they can skip using cosΘ and sinΘ in the force equations and can just use for example Fy=F(7/25) instead of using sin. Which legs would you choose for z-axis?

I attached an image and im not sure i it showed up. And you can see Im trying resolve the F1 force in Cartesian vector form They have F1=630((7/25)j-(24/25)k). So im wondering how they choose those legs for the z-axis force?

statics.jpg

2. Relevant equations

shownn above

3. The attempt at a solution
    none so far

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

F1 is in the y-z plane. The 7-24-25 triangle attached to the vector arrow shows how the components fall out.

For F2, the angles which the vector make with each of the coordinate axes are shown.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted