Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to represent a small change in a larger number

  1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    Hey Everyone,

    So I was doing some homework and one of my solutions was

    500.0000000000139x10^-9 m

    It wanted us to find the wavelength of doppler shifted light at a low speed and so the change is very small from the initial wavelength of 500x10^-9 m

    I was wondering if there would be an easier way or some proper notation to write this small increase as a single number.

    I could easily write 500nm+1.39x10^-11nm (5x10^-7m+1.39x10^-20m) but it doesn't feel right to have a plus sign in an answer. is there a notation that would help here?

    is the notation compoundable?
    how would you write
    in a compact form other than
    1x10^30+1+1x10^-20 ?

  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2
    You could represent only the value of the change (e.g. "a total change of +139x10something")
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: How to represent a small change in a larger number