How to show functions are linearly dependent?

In summary: Homework AssignmentsIn summary, you were asked to find the constants in a system that would make all of the equations in the set work. However, this was not an easy task and you would have been better off solving the system algebraically.
mikehibbert

Homework Statement

Show that the set of functions:

x^2
3x+2
x-1
2x+5

are linearly dependent.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that you have to show that you can put constants in front of each equation (that aren't all zero) such that:

c1y1 + c2y2 + c3y3 + c4y4 = 0

i.e. c1(x^2) + c2(3x+2) + c3(x-1) + c4(2x-5) =0

But I have no idea how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
work out c1(x^2) + c2(3x+2) + c3(x-1) + c4(2x-5) =0

by grouping all the same factors of x, ie:

c1x^2 = 0
(3 c2 + c3 + 2 c4)x = 0
... = 0

and figure out what set of constants makes all of these equations true, can you do that?

i'm struggling i must admit :S

this would give me:

(c1)x^2 = 0
(3c2 + c3 + 2c4)x = 0
(2c2 + c3 + 5c4) =0

yes?

mikehibbert said:
i'm struggling i must admit :S

this would give me:

(c1)x^2 = 0
(3c2 + c3 + 2c4)x = 0
(2c2 + c3 + 5c4) =0

yes?
Yes. From above, it's clear that c1 = 0, but since you have two more equations in three unknowns (c2, c3, c4) it's pretty likely you're going to get a whole lot of nonzero solutions for these constants.

but do you think i have to find the values of the constants?

surely it's impossible? because I have three unknowns - I need three equations?

Therefore what? If the coefficients are nopt all 0, then the functions are dependent!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a wronskian in the end!

mikehibbert said:
I used a wronskian in the end!

That's like going after a housefly with a bulldozer! It would have been much simpler to just solve this system algebraically:
(c1)x^2 = 0
(3c2 + c3 + 2c4)x = 0
(2c2 + c3 + 5c4) =0

but i still can't see how that proves it?

and i needed the marks, so overkill it was :P

The functions x^2, 3x+2, x-1, and 2x+5 are linearly dependent iff the equation c1x^2 + c2 (3x+2) + c3 (x-1) + c4(2x+5) = 0 has a nontrivial solution. I.e., at least one of the constants ci is nonzero.

You were well on your way to establishing this with this set of equations:
(c1)x^2 = 0
(3c2 + c3 + 2c4)x = 0
(2c2 + c3 + 5c4) =0

I guarantee you, if you can't find a solution to this system (and there are lots of them), you will have a difficult time of it, and knowledge of how to apply the Wronskian will be of little help to you. Guaranteed.
Mark

1. How do I determine if a set of functions is linearly dependent?

To determine if a set of functions is linearly dependent, you can use the definition of linear dependence. This means that there is a non-trivial linear combination of the functions that results in a zero function. In other words, if there are coefficients not all equal to zero such that when multiplied by the functions and added together, the result is zero, then the functions are linearly dependent.

2. What does it mean for functions to be linearly dependent?

When a set of functions is linearly dependent, it means that at least one of the functions in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. This means that one function can be written as a sum of multiples of the other functions in the set.

3. Can a set of linearly dependent functions be linearly independent?

No, a set of functions cannot be both linearly dependent and linearly independent. If a set of functions is linearly dependent, then it is not linearly independent, and vice versa. This is because the definition of linear dependence and linear independence are opposite concepts.

4. How many functions need to be checked to determine if a set is linearly dependent?

If you have a set of n functions, then you only need to check n-1 of them to determine if the set is linearly dependent. This is because if n-1 of the functions are linearly independent, then the nth function must be a linear combination of the others and the set is therefore linearly dependent.

5. Can a set of functions be linearly dependent in one context but linearly independent in another?

Yes, a set of functions can be linearly dependent in one context but linearly independent in another. This is because the definition of linear dependence depends on the set of functions and the context in which they are being used. For example, a set of functions may be linearly dependent in the real numbers but linearly independent in the complex numbers.