How to show sequnce is divergent (math. induction)

In summary: One is the sequence starting with 1 and going up to 4, and the other is the sequence starting with 2 and going down to -1.
sitia

Homework Statement

For the sequnce an defined recursively, I have to determine the limiting value, provided that it exists.
a1=2 and a(n+1) = 1/(an)^2 for all n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I 've done problems like this but the a(n+1) was biggger than an and so the sequence was increasing and I used mathematical induction and boundness to show it converged. Then I founf the limit.
Now, though I'm having trouble with this sequence becasue it's a decreasing sequence and I know it diverges. How do I go about proving that? What method do I use? At what point is it realized that it diverges?
I'm just really lost :/

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
sitia said:

Homework Statement

For the sequnce an defined recursively, I have to determine the limiting value, provided that it exists.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I 've done problems like this but the a(n+1) was biggger than an and so the sequence was increasing and I used mathematical induction and boundness to show it converged. Then I founf the limit.
Now, though I'm having trouble with this sequence becasue it's a decreasing sequence and I know it diverges. How do I go about proving that? What method do I use? At what point is it realized that it diverges?
I'm just really lost :/

Thank you!
Have you written out the first several terms of the sequence?

I have...1/4, 1/16...etc

sitia said:
I have...1/4, 1/16...etc
a1 = 2
a2 = 1/(22) = 1/4
a3 = ?
Hint: It's not 1/16.

Isn't it 1/(2^2)^2

sitia said:
Isn't it 1/(2^2)^2
Not according to what you wrote in post 1.

sitia said:

sitia said:
Isn't it 1/(2^2)^2
"It", as in a3 is

[itex]\displaystyle a_3=\frac{1}{{a_2}^2}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle
=\frac{1}{(1/4)^2}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{1}{1/16}[/itex]

[itex]= \underline{\ \ ?\ \ }[/itex]

sitia said:
Isn't it 1/(2^2)^2

SammyS said:
"It", as in a3 is

[itex]\displaystyle a_3=\frac{1}{{a_2}^2}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle
=\frac{1}{(1/4)^2}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{1}{1/16}[/itex]

[itex]= \underline{\ \ ?\ \ }[/itex]

You shouldn't say "it" unless it is crystal clear what the antecedent is.

Oh wow, stupid mistake. Thanks!
So, do I need to show anything to show divergence or just state that it's going to zero and infinity..oscillating, so it's divergent?

sitia said:
Oh wow, stupid mistake. Thanks!
So, do I need to show anything to show divergence or just state that it's going to zero and infinity..oscillating, so it's divergent?

Well there certainly are two subsequences that converge to 0 and diverge to infinity.

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves two steps: the base case, in which the statement is shown to be true for the first natural number, and the induction step, in which it is shown that if the statement is true for one natural number, it is also true for the next natural number.

2. How is mathematical induction used to show sequence divergence?

In order to show that a sequence is divergent using mathematical induction, we must first prove that the sequence does not approach a finite limit. This can be done by showing that the terms of the sequence become arbitrarily large or small as the sequence continues. Then, we use mathematical induction to prove that the sequence continues to grow or shrink in the same manner indefinitely.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is one in which the terms approach a finite limit as the sequence continues. In other words, the terms of the sequence get closer and closer together until they eventually reach a specific value. On the other hand, a divergent sequence is one in which the terms do not approach a finite limit. Instead, they either grow larger and larger or become smaller and smaller indefinitely.

4. What are the key steps in using mathematical induction to prove sequence divergence?

The key steps in using mathematical induction to prove sequence divergence are: 1) proving that the sequence does not approach a finite limit, 2) using mathematical induction to show that the sequence continues to grow or shrink in the same manner indefinitely, and 3) providing a formal proof of the divergence using mathematical notation and logic.

5. Can mathematical induction be used to prove convergence of a sequence?

No, mathematical induction is not a method for proving convergence of a sequence. It is specifically used for proving divergence. To prove convergence, other methods such as the limit comparison test or the ratio test must be used.